Light-O-Rama Forums

All of my controllers not recognized

FireMedic4Christ

My PC will not recognize beyond the third unit of four. In the series, I have two controllers at my house and then on to two at my neighbors house. Each controller operates properly as the third unit. I have tried both telephone and Cat5 cable. Does this sound like a software or hardware issue? Has anyone else experienced this? To further frustrate, everything initially worked fine. My neighbor needed the outlets in the daytime for some work and unplugged the last unit and since then, I cannot get them all on.

Using LOR II 2.0.8 and latest hardware utility. Also installed the latest USB drivers because I was having issues with the show not starting like a few others.

Just some questions to clarify this.

What are the ID's of the units at your house and what are the ID's in the other yard?
Which unit numbers is the hardware utility identifying?
Are all board LED's blinking before you start the hardware utility?
Do all of the LED's go solid when using the hardware utility?
Have you checked to make sure the you really do have power going into the neighboors boards?

The boxes are numbered one thru four. I did switch the unit ID numbers on three and four when I changed their location. Both seemed to function fine in the number three location.

When three are hooked up, all are recognized. It does not matter which unit is placed third in line.

All units have the LED blinking and the first three go solid. Again, if I switch the third and fourth units, the first three go solid and function as expected.

I have checked and rechecked the Cat5. Changed to telephone to no avail as well.

Thanks for your time,

Brian

You say that if you switch the 3rd and 4th, that it still only recognized the first 3 and never gets the last one. How are you switching them? i.e( board ID's, CAT5, AC outlets they are plugged into?)

dslowik wrote:

You say that if you switch the 3rd and 4th, that it still only recognized the first 3 and never gets the last one. How are you switching them? i.e( board ID's, CAT5, AC outlets they are plugged into?)

I am physically moving the box to the location of the third unit. In order to run the show in evenings, I have changed to the unit ID appropriately to controls the channels already laid out for the third unit. It does not seem to matter which unit I have in there, the third works fine and the forth is not recognized by the PC.

The only things I can think of are:

bad cable (which I know you said you've already swapped)
bad socket that on a board (doesn't seem likely with the swapping you've done)
duplicate board id's (doesn't seem likely unless it is duplicating one of the 2 in your yard)

Sorry, I can't think of anything else right now.

dslowik wrote:

The only things I can think of are:

bad cable (which I know you said you've already swapped)
bad socket that on a board (doesn't seem likely with the swapping you've done)
duplicate board id's (doesn't seem likely unless it is duplicating one of the 2 in your yard)

Sorry, I can't think of anything else right now.

I did think of a bad socket on one of the boards. One was purchased this year and one last. On both, the Cat5 sockets are loose enough that they pivot from the bottom edge. I do not know if the are snap in or if the should be soldered done completely. Regardless of which, when either of the units is in the third position it works fine.

Definately sounds like a comm issue as far as connection.

At the number 3 location. Plug the cable from number 2 into the port that you have the cable plugged into that is going to number 4. This will prove both ports working on the number 3 board. Use the hardware utility does the number 3 board's LED go solid? IF the LED goes solid then you KNOW both ports work on this board.

If possible relocate board 4 to board 3's location and repeat the above. No need to change unit ID as we are only trying to verify the ports as good. Try both ports with the cable coming from unit 2, using the hardware utililty. IF both ports make the LED turn solid then I would say your cable is BAD. IF you do not have the cable tied down try using it to connect between 2 other units. Such as unit 1 and 2 which I assume are closer together than 2 and 3 are.

Good Luck. Keep us informed.

Chuck