Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about LOR Ver 3.12.2

gmac

I now have a new computer with win7 (and I hate it already)  I just installed ver 3.12.2 software but in the past with xp operating system LOR was installed in program files directory, but this time win7 decided to install it in Program files (x86)  whatever that is

So before I re import my old sequences and build new ones should I move it to the program files directory somewhere I read that LOR software was fussy as to where it was installed?

Thanks for any input

Why not use the LORPOST software that's part of the LOR software suite and redefine the default directories you used on your old computer?    

Doing that will make your importing much easier, faster and you won't have to change any of your sequences, etc.  

So you should be able to copy and continue without having too do anything special or extra on the new system whatsoever.

Edited by Orville

your sequences should be under (I believe) My Documents>Light-O-Rama>Sequences...LOR software is put under the program files (x86), but not your sequences,audio, visualizations, Superstar, clipboards, etc etc...

Look in your MY DOCUMENTS on your main drive..I think you will find a Light-O-Rama folder...

Edited by jimswinder

No, you should definitely not move the LOR programs from "Program Files (x86)" to "Program Files".  Just leave them where they are.  This is something that Windows wants - certain types of programs should go in one and certain types in the other - and manually moving it will likely mess things up in all sorts of ways.

Also, the "LORPost" that was mentioned in another comment doesn't have anything to do with this, really.  There are two entirely different concepts here: (1) Where the LOR executable program files - such as the Sequence Editor - are stored; (2) Where the data that those LOR executable program files use - such as your sequences - are stored.  The two have nothing to do with each other.  The mentioned "LORPost" program can be used to control where the data files go, not where the executable files go.

The executables should be in "Program Files (x86)" (or, on some computers, "Program Files"), right where the installer put them.  Basically don't worry about their location - wherever the installer put them is the correct location for your computer.

The data files, on the other hand, can basically be anywhere, more or less, but often you'll want them in something like C:\Users\Fred\My Documents\Light-O-Rama.  And just to preemptively clear something that sometimes causes problems for people: You should NOT put your data files in "Program Files\Light-O-Rama" or in "Program Files (x86)\Light-O-Rama".  "Program Files" / "Program Files (x86)" are locations that are reserved for the use of Windows itself, and you shouldn't manually put things there.

I agree with Bob. Do not change the directories. I am running LOR with the default install directories and it works a treat. I'd suggest that you shouldn't be concerned about where the program has installed but just put your sequences in the LOR folder in My Documents and all should be ok. It worked a treat for me when I upgraded.

Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me..........This is my first venture into the world of 64 bit computers...... Guess I have to start learning about computers all over again LOL

Yes, Bob is correct.  I unfortunately mis-understood your original message, I thought you were referring about where your sequences are kept,

I just installed Win7 {64 bit} and I made the mistake of moving the Light-O-Rama directory from the Program Files(x86) to program files, when I did, I got all kinds of errors about missing files required and registry errors.  

Now I am currently running LOR 3.8.2, I don't know if the newer version you're running has been upgraded not to require these steps, but in case you get missing file or incorrect registry errors, you may want to try doing this

So I had to set all my LOR programs to run under "Win XP mode" as those same errors kept coming up about missing files, incorrect registry errors and such after I reinstalled it to the correct directory.    

So if you installed the LOR suite and are getting these type of errors that I was, you may want to right click on each LOR program one at a time, then click on properties, then click on the compatibility tab and select the check box for "Run in compatibility mode", then select Windows XP {Service Pack 3}, again, do this for each LOR program.  

Once I did this, I no longer got any more errors about missing files or incorrect registry settings, and the software is now running fine under Win 7 {64 bit}.