Light-O-Rama Forums

Super Bowl Half Time

Jeff Messer

Guess I will start the conversation.. Watching it for the third time and WOW. It was great.... I see me with projection before next year....

Jeff

Yes, the technology was really great! But I gotta ask this. Didn't Katy's second dress remind you of "Hot dog on a stick"?

Yes, the technology was really great! But I gotta ask this. Didn't Katy's second dress remind you of "Hot dog on a stick"?

Yep, both my neighbor and I commented on that.

Yes it did!

Great show

Where did that Lion Go? That was a quick take down to a stage.

After the lights came back up there was a comentator talking and in the backgroud you could see the field. I noticed them rolling it out of the stadium. So they must of had it tucked away to the side somewhere.

... I see me with projection before next year....

Jeff

I love all the video mapping,,.but is that really "Christmas Lights"?   Guess I am just old fashioned...

Here is some more info on the show.

24 Cameras
5 Chapman Sideline Carts
2 Jibs
2 Steadi-Cams 
1 Helicopter
90 26k Projectors
384 LED Tiles
582 Feet of Blades
765 Lighting Instruments (including Clay Paky Mythos, GLP impression X4 S, X4 XL and X4 Bar 20, Elation Platinum Beams[unsure if extreme or regular])
8 D3 Servers
10 Flame Cannons & A Lot of Pyro
25,000 amps of Power
1/2 Mile of Truss
18 Audio Field Carts w/ 108 Speakers
24 Stage Carts
1 24' Long x 12' High Lion Puppet
1 18,000 Square Foot Projection Surface 
48 Golf Carts
1 Flying by Foy Rig
More than 850 Costumes 
24,000 Sq Feet of Tenting
145,000 Flashlights
1,000 FM Radios 
600 LED Orbs 
11 12' Long x 6' Cloud Balloons
3,650 Hotel Room Nights
1,366 Pizzas
7,620 Boxed Lunches

...and most importantly

750 Cast members
480 Field Team Members 
400 Staff & Crew

Only 25K Amps???  That certainly looked more like 50K amps.  They must have been using a lot of LEDs.

Remember, most if not all of the equipment is running at 208/240 vac because of how easy it is to distribute large amounts of power over smaller cables. Thus, they are using 5,200,000 watts of power at 208 vac, not 3,000,000 watts of power at 120 vac. You also need to take into account that the projectors(for example) only take around 20amps at 208vac each, that's not as much power as one would think.

Also, here are some renders.

http://livedesignonline.com/super-bowl-xlix-2015-halftime-show/super-bowl-2015-halftime-show-views

....and a timelapse of the setup.

......and here are some more numbers of the lights used. 

125 x Clay Paky Mythos
70 x Clay Paky B-EYE K20s

-John

Edited by John2571

john-

I don't know much about the video mapping but am I safe to assume it was projected from the ground to up under the stage? how high up was the stage, doesn't appear to be very high.

~Matt

john-

I don't know much about the video mapping but am I safe to assume it was projected from the ground to up under the stage? how high up was the stage, doesn't appear to be very high.

~Matt

All of the video content was projected from above, presumable in a double or triple stacked configuration(2-3 projectors stacked on top of one-another projecting the exact same image to effectively make it brighter). I will see if I can find some of the renders showing the projectors. Most of the stage was no more than 6 feet high, although most of the stage used LED screens mounted on the floor, not projection. 

-John 

Edited by John2571

oh, I see. Makes more sense now. I really enjoyed the effect of the pillars hitting the floor from the bottom up. Thanks for clearing that up.

Jim,

I agree its not Christmas Lights but I am installing a Matrix the year in the roof. 81 sticks @ 16 feet long each and 50 pixels on each stick. I want to show a movie on it and pictures if this does not work the will become a replace of the 5 trees I have now. If this does not work I will do projection of the movie next year either on the roof or the shed.

Edited by Jeff Messer

Jim,

I agree its not Christmas Lights but I am installing a Matrix the year in the roof. 81 sticks @ 16 feet long each and 50 pixels on each stick. I want to show a movie on it and pictures if this does not work the will become a replace of the 5 trees I have now. If this does not work I will do projection of the movie next year either on the roof or the shed.

but that's my point..if they wanted to watch a movie they can do that in their own home...but...that's just me...  :rolleyes:

Here is the gear list(for lighting); 

140 Clay Paky Sharpy
120 Clay Paky Mythos
94 Clay Paky B-Eye
72 PRG Best Boy
72 Philips Vari-Lite VL3500 Wash
24 Philips Vari-LiteVL 3500 Spot
16 GLP impression X4 XL
12 GLP impression X4 Bar 20
16 Ayrton NanoBeam-S6
12 Ayrton MagicRing-R1
8 Brite Box Flame LT3000 Long Throw Followspot
7 Brite Box Flame MT3000 Medium Short Throw Followspot
110 Chroma-Q Color Block
62 Solaris LED Flare
PRG V676 console for lighting  
MA Lighitng grandMA for the projection and orb control

Haha Jim... Depends on the movie clip being played and if it ties the sequence to what you want them to see from the lights. I am pleased each year that kids and adults tell me what they like best. The beam coming from the mega tree to baby Jesus gets  the highest votes.

• The topic was locked