Power pixels without Data

My pixels just arrived, but my controller has not been delivered. I want to test the pixels work before ordering more. If I connect 5v to the two loose wires (Red and Blue) and leave the 3 pin data connector empty, will the lights turn on and do nothing? Is there any way to test them besides a controller, or something cheap I can keep for quickly testing strings/strips in the future?

Please, tell us about that device and how you make it work. Some of the pixels are 3-wire and others 4-wire...does that device accomodate both?

I have both of these from Ray Wu's store:

For 12V WS2811 pixels

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-WS2811-LED-smart-pixel-controller-With-76-kinds-of-patterns-2048pixels-controlled/701799_32261096741.html

For 5V WS2811 pixels

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC5V-WS2811-LED-smart-pixel-controller-2048pixels-controlled-With-76-kinds-of-patterns/701799_32261108366.html

The ones I have from a couple years ago were $3.00 each then and don't support the 76 patters that these do.  Very handy for a quick test.

I'm using ws2801 and ws2811. I will find one of those little ones on EBay, but I have had bad experiences with similar products. I had the white dumb rgb controller with 44 key remote. It lasted about a week before just turning green. Got a replacement, plugged it would n, turned it on, after five minutes, they stayed purple.

I have used a few of these.  work fine (different controller for different chips).  Down side is they are VERY lightweight and damage easy.  But work fine for quick checks.  Better is a conventional controller in the demo mode.