Light-O-Rama Forums

? about CTB16PC

Nick Myers

Please don't flame me for this question, but what's the difference between the CTB16PC and a LOR1602W, aside from the CTB16PC requiring some assembly? The reason I ask is that I've been helping my dad with his light show this year, and I'm planning on doing one next year. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, so if there's no functional difference between the two units, I'm planning on getting the CTB16PC. However, if there's a significant difference that I'm over looking, please let me know.

Thanks,
Nick

That's what I needed to know. I looked at the user guide for the CTB16PC. Everything looks easy enought to put together. Am I correct that you're to use the hardware utility to assign the unit ID #'s?

Push Eject wrote:

With the exception of amperage handled and the setting of unit ids they are functionally identical.

Also no standalone in the 16PC's.

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

Push Eject wrote:
With the exception of amperage handled and the setting of unit ids they are functionally identical.

-Tim

Ah! Thanks, Tim. I have two of each, but have never considered the option of running the 1602s stand-alone. Appreciate the correction.

Charlie

Yeah, In the 4+ years I've owned LOR boxes, I've never used standalone.

Also remember only one "master" is needed, so you can certainly chain CTB-16PC's off of a CTB-16D "master".

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

Push Eject wrote:

-Tim

Yet....they have the possibilities of being updated to be used as stand alone. LOR 2 really is going to open up a whole new world with all the boards, including the PC boards.

Tim Fischer wrote:

Also remember only one "master" is needed, so you can certainly chain CTB-16PC's off of a CTB-16D "master".

-Tim

Does this mean that you couldn't just use 2 CTB-16PC's? I am currently running a CTB-16PC, and am planning next year's expansion. I was originally thinking that I could just add another CTB-16PC. I am not looking for standalone capability. I can't seem to find any information on LOR's website.

dstevens wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:

-Tim

Does this mean that you couldn't just use 2 CTB-16PC's? I am currently running a CTB-16PC, and am planning next year's expansion. I was originally thinking that I could just add another CTB-16PC. I am not looking for standalone capability. I can't seem to find any information on LOR's website.

My statement was referring to standalone capability.

You can use all CTB16PC's, or any other combination of controllers, in a controlled show (be it either a PC or an MP3 director as the controller).

-Tim

Let me expand on what Tim said.

Right now, if you want to have standalone capabilities now, you can not use the PC boards. You will have to use either the MP3 director of the 16D. What Tim said is that all you need is one 16D to have standalone capabilities, after that you can attach whatever controllers you want. So if you have 2 PC boards you chain would be as follows...

16D - - PC - - PC

What I brought up was, that the PC boards will eventually have the same capabilities down the line. That will come with later firmware updates that they will be releasing when they really open up the possibilities of what LOR 2 can do.

Greg

Ponddude wrote:

What I brought up was, that the PC boards will eventually have the same capabilities down the line. That will come with later firmware updates that they will be releasing when they really open up the possibilities of what LOR 2 can do.

Is that something that's been announced?

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

Ponddude wrote:

-Tim

That is nothing that we have announced... However some people have discovered that there is a way to get them to run standalone by tricking the Hardware Utility into sending a standalone sequence to them! PC series does not have the external eprom for large standalone sequences so they will never be able to support anything except a rather small sequence.

Because the firmware in the PC is based on the 16D, the processor did its best to handle a standalone sequence even when it knows the eprom is missing. A side effect that was not anticipated and is not supported.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:
Ponddude wrote:

-Tim

That is nothing that we have announced... However some people have discovered that there is a way to get them to run standalone by tricking the Hardware Utility into sending a standalone sequence to them!  PC series does not have the external eprom for large standalone sequences so they will never be able to support anything except a rather small sequence.

Because the firmware in the PC is based on the 16D, the processor did its best to handle a standalone sequence even when it knows the eprom is missing. A side effect that was not anticipated and is not supported.

You let my secret out!! lol

Greg

If you have a 16D you can run the 16pc as a slave to the 16D being a show controller. The 16D does have stand alone.

If all you have are 16PC, then yes you must have a computer to be the show controller

Chuck

• 1 year later...

cmoore60 wrote:

If you have a 16D you can run the 16pc as a slave to the 16D being a show controller. The 16D does have stand alone.

If all you have are 16PC, then yes you must have a computer to be the show controller

Chuck

Chuck,

I am new to this and planning in getting the 16PC kit controller. So you are saying that if I purchase a 16PC kit, can it be the master controller? I am not interested in the stand alone with MP3 Director. I am looking into going wireless in using LOR "Easy Light Linker". Do you know if this have the capability?