Vido Mapping

Keep on researching for a good projector and still confused.  I have a two story with one street light.  I should be looking for a short throw, 2500-3000 lumens, WXGA = 1280 x 800

WUXGA = 1920 x 1080, and at least a 1080p.  But there are so much company.  I see Optoma, Infocus, BenQ, Epson, NEC.  They are all around $600 plus.  How would I know which one is a good one.  Sorry for the dumb question.

I bought the Optoma EH200ST on Amazon for 949.00. I see this morning it is 904. with free shipping for Prime customers. I have a street light also but this one seems to be pretty good for me. I have bought a video from Digital Press Works and it works well.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my projectors off ebay, an NEC1000NP (3500 lumens) an Epson 835 and an Epson 830 (both 3000 lumens).  All 3 came to under $500 total.  

Also got two new bulbs for under $50 each, the one projector only has 535 hours on the bulb.  My show computer can handle two projectors and I also bought a DualHead2Go for the third projector.  Was going to start setting them up last night to find the best locations for them in the yard so I can install permanent mounting positions, but of course it rained.  Hopefully, I can do that tonight.

• 2 months later...

I am trying to overcome a brightness problem with my projectors.  All 3 projectors have new bulbs and alignment of the projectors was much easier than I thought.  I am wondering if distance from the computer to the different projectors might be the cause of the brightness difference in the projectors.  The cable to the furthest projector from the computer is 100 ft, next projector is about 25 feet and the last projector is adjacent to the computer and connected with a regular vga cable (6 ft ?).  I have switched the projectors around and the one closest to the computer is always the brightest.  Do you think I am correct in assuming it is the length of the cables that is causing the further projectors to be more dim?  If so, do you think the use of a 2 way vga splitter/amplifier/multiplier between the computer and each of the two farthest projectors would resolve the problem?  I wouldn't be interested in connecting two monitors to each amplifier, just one projector.  I have seen the amplifiers on Monoprice and ebay and they aren't that expensive.  Also, what difference does the rated MHz make?  I have seen them rated from 250 to 450 MHz.  Looking at the specs, it would appear that the higher the MHZ, the longer the distance can be between projector and computer.

I am trying to overcome a brightness problem with my projectors.  All 3 projectors have new bulbs and alignment of the projectors was much easier than I thought.  I am wondering if distance from the computer to the different projectors might be the cause of the brightness difference in the projectors.  The cable to the furthest projector from the computer is 100 ft, next projector is about 25 feet and the last projector is adjacent to the computer and connected with a regular vga cable (6 ft ?).  I have switched the projectors around and the one closest to the computer is always the brightest.  Do you think I am correct in assuming it is the length of the cables that is causing the further projectors to be more dim?  If so, do you think the use of a 2 way vga splitter/amplifier/multiplier between the computer and each of the two farthest projectors would resolve the problem?  I wouldn't be interested in connecting two monitors to each amplifier, just one projector.  I have seen the amplifiers on Monoprice and ebay and they aren't that expensive.  Also, what difference does the rated MHz make?  I have seen them rated from 250 to 450 MHz.  Looking at the specs, it would appear that the higher the MHZ, the longer the distance can be between projector and computer.

:P

The distance from the computer to the projector/the cable length will make absolutely no difference. With digital signals, there will either be a picture, or there won't.

It is most likely that the reason the projector closest to the computer is brighter is because it is a different projector, or has different bulb (They can come in different brightnesses), or it is just closer to the house. Cables cannot change brightness.

The MHZ may be the refresh rate of the projector. How quickly the bulb flickers every second. I could also be the scanning frequency, but it seems a lot to high for that.

:P

The distance from the computer to the projector/the cable length will make absolutely no difference. With digital signals, there will either be a picture, or there won't.

It is most likely that the reason the projector closest to the computer is brighter is because it is a different projector, or has different bulb (They can come in different brightnesses), or it is just closer to the house. Cables cannot change brightness.

The MHZ may be the refresh rate of the projector. How quickly the bulb flickers every second. I could also be the scanning frequency, but it seems a lot to high for that.

Now I am confused - doesn't take much to confuse me.  I thought that vga was an analog signal, vs dvi which is digital.  I don't know if that would make a difference or not though.  Two projectors are Epson 835 and one is an NEC 1000NP.  I put new bulbs in all three projectors.  Don' know the exact differences in distance to the house though.  They seem similar though.

Dumb question to toss in there...are you broadcasting three different videos to music, each with a different mapping? If so, then comes the question is the sync of the video streams?

Dumb question to toss in there...are you broadcasting three different videos to music, each with a different mapping? If so, then comes the question is the sync of the video streams?

No, it's one video split with a matrox triplehead2go analog. 

Ok, but then it means or implies its the identical same video broadcast, to different areas of the house external. I'm picturing in my head, the same things happening on different surfaces, not aligned to them. I would think it would be wiser to do individual videos, broadcast simultaneously and mapped to their respective reflecting surfaces. Now how to sync 2 or 3 broadcasts to the music, no clue here. I'd love to do this whole thing as my house has the garage door on the side which means its only seen from one direction, from the side. I'd need the main visual on some other surface and mapped to both. I'm not going to try it this year as much as I want too. I'm thinking too that existing decorations, pixel trees, mega trees and so on, will all get in the way, then again, they could become partially reflective surfaces too.

It is different. The triplehead2go splits parts of one long video to multiple screens. The computer sees it as one, but then it is split into thirds and sends each one to a different output. Google it for more.

Sorry. VGA is analog, but cable length still should not change brightness, unless it is really really bad quality.

I would always use VGA over cat5 for any length like that. You can find a pair for cheaper than a VGA amplifier.

It is different. The triplehead2go splits parts of one long video to multiple screens. The computer sees it as one, but then it is split into thirds and sends each one to a different output. Google it for more.

Sorry. VGA is analog, but cable length still should not change brightness, unless it is really really bad quality.

I would always use VGA over cat5 for any length like that. You can find a pair for cheaper than a VGA amplifier.

These are regular vga cables rather than cat5.  Got them from Monoprice and have always had quality from them.  No distortion or anything.

I am reorganizing the entire display this year to limit the impact of extraneous lights from other sources, as much as possible anyway.  Will move all the cutouts and floodlights to the side of the house and putting the pixel matrix on the roof.  Only thing I can't move will be the mega tree as the pole is set in concrete.  Will move one pixel tree to the other side also and probably put the second one on the roof.  Mini trees will all be at the front of the yard, about 50 ft from the house.  Also, I won't have video for every song so I can use more of the lights during the projector off time.

Edited by Denny

Hi Denny   just wondering if you trying to do the projection mapping if so what software are you using?  thanks Dennis L

I have been experimenting with VPT 7 but haven't done anything permanently yet; want to wait until I get the projector brightness issue resolved since I may have to move my projectors, in which case, I would have to start over again.  

Projection brightness is everything if the house is a darker color. Mine is brick with a dark shingled roof so how bright in lumens is enough to work? I thought of hanging reflective surfaces on the roof empty areas but keeping them there might be a trick too. I saw reflective sheets available for purchase in various sizes which would help, assuming they don't become sails

• 3 weeks later...

So would this work for projecting two separate video streams from two different projectors:

Create a dual video in the editing software (I use Adobe Premiere Elements) with two videos playing within the same frame.  Then in Windows 7 Pro, choose extend monitor.  Then, plug one projector into the VGA port, and another projector into the HDMI port.  My pico projectors will support both VGA and HDMI. Or just easier to buy a decent VGA splitter?

Youtube video here of last year's show: https://youtu.be/SgAHEfi9szA

Projection is on the castle.

Thanks! 

• 2 months later...