Light-O-Rama Forums

Vido Mapping

Denny

I've been digging trying to figure out how to remotely command a video player to run a file when we wish, such as a command line output from LOR but so far, there's nothing I've found that will do this. Asus has a nice player with wireless TCPIP but not sure if it'll command or just wireless stream video to it. There's also the Raspberry PI device which has Ethernet and HDMI output plus minicard/usb inputs but its a development type platform. The original website, they just tell the player to turn on and it plays the video files and of course, audio is present there. But, to do audio, we'd need to turn off the one FM transmitter from the computer/LOR and turn on another from the player on the same frequency of course. This also means stopping LOR via the schedule then restarting at a specific time. So far, I've not found a product that does everything we need to interface the two systems together but still looking. FYI, I also don't do facebook so Ken, if you have a way of seeing your progress, w/o using FB, I'd love to see.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Denny

• dgrant

• Ken Benedict

• Dennis Laff

This will split the same video signal to 4 different monitors, 4-Way SVGA VGA Splitter Amplifier Multiplier

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10104&cs_id=1010402&p_id=3570&seq=1&format=2

This will spread the video signal between two monitors, USB 2.0 to DVI Display Adapter (1920x1080

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011403&p_id=6040&seq=1&format=2

We did video mapping this year also, and it also, was the biggest addition of our display. I think it was the most bang for the buck of any of the fixtures in our display. I've been using video in the display for the last 6 years, but this was the first mapping. We used multiple projectors in 2013, with 2 projections of separate video files in one song using dualhead2go (matrox). When using this software/hardware, we ran into an issue of skipping sequences. When we played a show through the editor, it would play the first sequence with a video media file, and skip all other video files in the show, and go to the next audio sequence. Our work around for it, was to build single sequences, 45 min long, with a custom video/audio media mix. Long story short, it was a big time consuming headache, but we got it to work. This year, we also used multi projectors, with video mapping and had no issues with sequence skipping in the show editor. These were different projectors than 2013, and we were stacking the projectors, sister'd   the video signal (projectors had an in and out), and stacked the image on top of each other, to increase the light output, to overcome light from other display elements, street lights, and neighbors yard and porch lights. Video stacking is a way to increase light output. There is actually software for some projectors to align the images (NEC projectors). Projector stacking is a great way to get some cheap lower lumen projectors, that your going to have outside in the elements, and not loose too much to theft. I bought 4 3500 lumen projectors off e bay for 600 bucks. These are old school house Mitsubishi units with a big foot print, but the put out a great display. That was the only downside to this project, I had to build a bigger, better box to house these in. In stacking projectors, you add the lumens together for total output. Doesn't really do us much good to know the light being transmitted, we need to know how much light is hitting the surface of our projected object. In my case, I was using my shop. So by stacking 3 projectors, with new bulbs (I had replaced them), I was supposedly getting 10500 lumens. We need to know lamberts, which is a numerical reference number of surface brightness, used mainly in the motion picture industry. Foot lamberts can be reached roughly by dividing the area of feet squared of the screen projected, divided in the lumens of the projector.  I've got my projectors at 43ft from the shop, 16:9 ratio, and putting out around 3-4 lamberts, and had a pretty decent, quality image. Theaters are in the 15 to 20 lambert range.

For software, I used aftereffects. Big learning curve, but loads of tutorials and effects.

Just thought I'd add my experience, and offer any help

Hi Ken quick question. I have one projector showing video with lor sequence . I would like to add second projector outside to do the video mapping on a few sequence . How do I run the two projectors off the same computer I would like projector 1 on for some songs and projector 2 on at other times possible to do? Thanks in advance Dennis

Ha Dennis, I had to do what is know as video layering to do that. I made a custom video in aftereffects, where half the screen was black or blank, and the other half had my video. Then using dualhead2go (matrox), used in dual monitor mode, (not clone), where the video I just created was spread across 2 monitors, (in this case 2 projectors). Then I positioned the projector to show either the blank screen or video presentation. You can also add another video instead of a black/blank one in you custom video. Its not to difficult to do, but time consuming. Gotta remember to build your video, and have your projector all at the same resolution. Also your computer has to be set to that resolution. If you buy a used dualhead2go (ebay), make sure you get the original 15 pin vga cable. They have there own pinout. Aftereffects wasn't  friendly with the audio file, so had to re-render it into my custom video. I just did that through movie maker live. Make sure you save that in the same resolution.

Hope you can make sense of that, if not let me know and we'll figure it out together.

This is a dumb question since I'm just doing newbie inquiries, yesterday, I opened a new musical sequence and opened a video file for the source. Without commanding anything, I played the sequence. It in-turn, opened the video and put it on a small window on the display. So, getting that video source out to the projector, how did you get it from LOR to outside, more specifically, out of that window or wherever? Sure, we can use an HDMI or VGA transmitter/receiver or go Cat5/6 wired out there but picking the actual window you want? Last thing I'd want is to see the whole video display outside on the house.

plug in your projector and configure your computer for dual monitors, then open a sequence, got to the edit menu, and select preferences. Open video preferences, and select full screen monitor. Then move your mouse cursor off the right hand part of your screen. If you have your projector on, you'll see the cursor in the projected display (your second monitor), when the cursor is in that monitor, left click. Now your videos will show in that monitor (projector). There is also a video preference under the view tab, where you can turn the video on or off, or show it full screen instead of the little box in the corner.

Darn, I'm already configured for dual monitors as I have two already in place and running as one screen. I've not purchased a projector yet, but I understand now how you are doing it. So I take it that a VGA signal sent to the projector looks good enough as opposed to some way of using HDMI?

Darn, I'm already configured for dual monitors as I have two already in place and running as one screen. I've not purchased a projector yet, but I understand now how you are doing it. So I take it that a VGA signal sent to the projector looks good enough as opposed to some way of using HDMI?

I used a 50 ft VGA cord this year and it worked fine.

Remember, your a Christmas light show, and the video's are just 1 part of your display. You don't want the video's to outplay the rest of your display. I use older projectors, because there cheap, I don't have to worry about them out in the elements, or getting ripped off,  and the vga does a quality enough of a projection, that I never questioned it. you might be able to use both monitors and a projector off hdmi, Just depends on what your video card will support. Give it a shot and see what happens. What's the worse? You get an error message?

So I'm wondering if we can use two projectors, get LOR to command both of them at the same time, playing the same video file? The reason is that white garage door is mounted sideways to the street, therefor no one can see it unless viewed from one direction only. But was thinking I could create a screen up on the roof for a second projector to do the same main video too. Also, getting a video feed out to the projectors from the computer at high enough speed. Certainly would need a faster machine by far to run it. Spliiting for HDMI would be needed and then if that company would provide two different videos of the same song for the two projectors? I'm sure they would for twice the price but would have to ask. Shadows from existing things like megatrees and so on would be an issue too I suppose.

If you're playing the same video on two different projectors, just use a video splitter (probably VGA) and send the same signal to both projectors.

Same technique used when "stacking" projectors for more brightness.

HDMI is a bit more difficult because the digital signal degrades quickly after 50 feet.

VGA can be run 200 feet with shielded cable.

LOR FaceBook page? Link

In the FB group Light o Rama Users, January 29.

I don't know how to post a direct link from FB.

You can add another video output for about $35 with a USB->VGA adapter.

Plug it in and run the software that comes with it and you have a third output.

It will use a few more CPU cycles and some of your main computer memory, though.

They also make HDMI versions.

VGA can run up to 200 feet with good cable.

HDMI and DVI are limited to about 50 feet.

For outdoor video mapping, VGA will work just fine.

Edited by Ken Benedict

I've been digging trying to figure out how to remotely command a video player to run a file when we wish, such as a command line output from LOR but so far, there's nothing I've found that will do this. Asus has a nice player with wireless TCPIP but not sure if it'll command or just wireless stream video to it. There's also the Raspberry PI device which has Ethernet and HDMI output plus minicard/usb inputs but its a development type platform. The original website, they just tell the player to turn on and it plays the video files and of course, audio is present there. But, to do audio, we'd need to turn off the one FM transmitter from the computer/LOR and turn on another from the player on the same frequency of course. This also means stopping LOR via the schedule then restarting at a specific time. So far, I've not found a product that does everything we need to interface the two systems together but still looking. FYI, I also don't do facebook so Ken, if you have a way of seeing your progress, w/o using FB, I'd love to see.

I'll be producing a video of my progress on Youtube and will be posting the link when I finish it.

Just giving progress reports here on the LOR forum and the FaceBook LOR group also.

If you're looking to trigger up to 8 different videos, there's a device out there that can be used with LOR: http://www.frightprops.com/video-visual-effects/digital-video-players/premium-hd-triggerable-video-player-33775.html

You could use a LOR DC card for the trigger device.

Or a LOR AC controller with 8 relays (more cumbersome).

My thoughts are that I'll have to upgrade the machine to add in HDMI capability, then wireless the HDMI signal to the yard. There's no way to run a wire out there from the computer room/office here in my home. I think HDMI would provide greater clarity by far but the current machine won't be near fast enough nor do I have it configured for that anyway. Might have to switch everything over to my Core i7 laptop but then I'll run into Win8.1 issues. lol, can't win. Maybe I'll build a new system with HDMI capability and load up Win7Prof to it. I've not yet bought a projector but if I do this, it'll be HDMI too and a good one because this is a brick home so I'll need the additional lumens.

Ha Dennis, I had to do what is know as video layering to do that. I made a custom video in aftereffects, where half the screen was black or blank, and the other half had my video. Then using dualhead2go (matrox), used in dual monitor mode, (not clone), where the video I just created was spread across 2 monitors, (in this case 2 projectors). Then I positioned the projector to show either the blank screen or video presentation. You can also add another video instead of a black/blank one in you custom video. Its not to difficult to do, but time consuming. Gotta remember to build your video, and have your projector all at the same resolution. Also your computer has to be set to that resolution. If you buy a used dualhead2go (ebay), make sure you get the original 15 pin vga cable. They have there own pinout. Aftereffects wasn't  friendly with the audio file, so had to re-render it into my custom video. I just did that through movie maker live. Make sure you save that in the same resolution.

Hope you can make sense of that, if not let me know and we'll figure it out together.

Yup, that's exactly the path I'm on. You beat me there.

I'll be using a TripleHead2Go and avoiding Adobe AfterEffects, instead using Adobe Premiere to get three different videos.

My plan A was to use a USB to VGA adapter.

Plan B was a Matrox TripleHead2Go splitter.

Plan C is a 6 output graphics card.

Larger churches use a variety of these techniques, with varying degrees of success.

Least reliable was Plan A.

Most reliable is Plan C.

I have tested Plan B with the LOR software and it seems to work OK with a three wide video; just a matter of connecting the Matrox splitter and some projectors.

Saving money for Plan C on a seperate, dedicated video computer. Will be used for LOR and Resolume software.

My thoughts are that I'll have to upgrade the machine to add in HDMI capability, then wireless the HDMI signal to the yard. There's no way to run a wire out there from the computer room/office here in my home. I think HDMI would provide greater clarity by far but the current machine won't be near fast enough nor do I have it configured for that anyway. Might have to switch everything over to my Core i7 laptop but then I'll run into Win8.1 issues. lol, can't win. Maybe I'll build a new system with HDMI capability and load up Win7Prof to it. I've not yet bought a projector but if I do this, it'll be HDMI too and a good one because this is a brick home so I'll need the additional lumens.

I have a wireless HDMI setup, but haven't tested it yet for distance; other feedback so far has been optimistic.

Maybe something you could pursue.

Ken, I'm curious to see if you get the same video skipping problem that I had through the show player. Also eagerly awaiting your video. Thanks for putting all the work into this.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really impressed with the videos. I would love to try this but the cost of a projector plus at least one file set up for it...if it doesn't work, I'm out some money. I'm tempted though. The trick is my garage is set on a side so even though its white door type, no one could see except on that side. I'd have to mount a screen type something up on the roof or a silk-screen type arrangement on some surface. Fantastic idea.

How would you lighten a black roof up so the video would show better?