Light-O-Rama Forums

Sandevice E682 VS Pixel lite 16

NEWTOUR

Anyone have some opinions between the E682 and Pixel Lite. I had my mind all set on getting the Pixle lite and then I read a non bias thread saying all controllers are pretty much the same. I would like to same the money and go with theE682, but  I would like to do my do diligence first. Nobody likes buyers remorse.It seems as  though the Pixel lite is fairly new, and yet againHC is releasing another controller later this month that is even cheaper. What do you guys think?

I have four SanDevices controllers (two E682 and two E6804).  I built all of mine from the kits.  For 2015 I expect to be adding at least one more of each.  Never had a problem with any of them.  I have no comparison to any other E1.31 controller.  Part of my original reason for going with the SanDevices controllers was many comments that Jim at SD is very responsive to any customer inquiries or problems and one of the other major players had the opposite reputation.

I purchased pixel mega tree kit from Holiday Coro which included the PixLite 16.  This was my first step into pixels and it was a big step for me.  I purchased everything in one of the David's pre sales from last spring and of course got a late start on my display.  I had some issues getting everything going, but they were all related to me being a newbie with e1.31 and pixel strips.  Every time I had an issue I was able to get assistance from David and got everything going Christmas Eve (better late than never). 

Having not used any other e1.31 controllers, I cant really compare the Pixlite features, but everything is very straightforward and the interface is easy to use as well.   What it comes down to is probably customer service, etc.  Reading through the boards, it appears that all of the suppliers provide an excellent level of service and it will just be a matter of your comfort.

I used the E682 last year and the PixLite 16 this year. Same computer same sequences and I noticed some lag with the PixLite 16 on full pixel images (30x50 pixels)..

I also think I like the setup web interface of the E682 over the program you need to run for the PixLite 16.

+1 on Sandevices.  

We use a mix of E682s and E6804's.   Jim is an outstanding guy and will help get you pointed back in the right direction if you have a problem.   I personally have had better luck with the E6804's.   They have fewer channels, but they're less expensive, I can put them exactly where I want  them and I've found that they seem to have better long-distance performance too.  I'm VERY happy with SanDevices and will continue to add their products to our display for the next several years.

I have an e682. Plan to add a 6804 this year. So I like my sans.

But I gotta say I have been looking at the pixlite controllers a little harder. The thing they offer over the sans is the additional dmx outputs. I don't loose any spi outputs with the pixlites....and with the 16 I can get 4 dmx universes.

Yes, pixels are most of my display. But dumb dmx is not going to go away. Some elements just need 3 or 4 rgb lights in it and that is a little tougher for programming with pixels as well as more costly. So my pumpkins will always be dumb lights. How many pumpkins can one have? I started with 4 but after my pumpkin arch is built on top of yearly additions I will be up around 30. And there are many more elements that need this type of lighting. Gravestones, spots and snowflakes and stars for Christmas to name a few off the top of my head.

And if I want to start adding dmx controlled devices, like dmx controlled fog machines, moving head lights or any of the other thousands of dmx devices then it might not be a bad idea to have extra dmx universes ready to go.

I am looking at the pixlite controllers and watching to see where they go. $260 for spi and 4 dmx universes still to pricey for me but I am intrigued.

I had both in my show this year.  The Pixlite was for the Megatree.   I wanted 1 universe with channels starting at #1 on each output to make the migration of purchased superstar sequences stupid simple.  The Pixlite allowed me to do that easily.   The tree was a hit.  

However, the Pixlite does not support GECE pixels, which comprise everything in the display outside of the MT.  So I will continue to use Sandevices and may even expand on them.   

The one feature I really liked on Pixlite was the remote temperature sensing.  I had 2 Meanwell 350W PS powered up continuously + Pixlite in a single CG1500, and was worried about heat.   Never fear, there was no heat problem to be worried about.  Of course, I'm in a cold climate at that time of year.

I researched both before I purchased my controller. They are both very powerful and I think I would have been happy with either. Each offers some distant features that the other one does not, features that are not that important to me at this stage. I got the Sandevice e6804 so I can only speak of it, and I will say the set up of the board is SO EASY.

~Matt