Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking for 3-4" dia opaque plastic tubing

Vince4xmas

Anyone know where I can get some 3-4" opaque plastic tbing cheap? Need (2) 5-6 foot sections. Must be rigid type.

ABS pipe (often used for sewer line).  Or is that not rigid enough for what you are wanting?

Another option would be schedule 80 electrical conduit.

What is it you are trying to do.

Yeah I'm fortunate to have a McMaster Carr nearby too! The HDPE pipe really is incredible for arches and circles.

• 11 months later...

I've tried ordering from them and they've told me they won't ship to me due to export laws. I'm not sure what they are referring to since I'm not outside the US and I'm not reselling it.

Why use opaque plastic pipe, do you put the lights inside? Or am i not following this.....Post a pic of one if you have it please.

Why use opaque plastic pipe, do you put the lights inside? Or am i not following this.....Post a pic of one if you have it please.

Chances are, Yes...

opague means "can't see through". So are you really asking for translucent which is kind of like frosted glass or completely clear?

I started checking around for translucent tubing for dripping icicle project and not much really out there but lots of clear pipe..acrylic, pvc, plastic, etc..

eplastics and usplastics carry clear pipe but nobody is giving it away. You might be $100 or more for what you want.

BTW..simply doing a goggle search for "clear pvc pipe" or "clear acrylic pipe" will find tons of sources. Just start searching and c comparing prices.

He means opaque not clear or translucent. Being opaque will give the effect of the tube lighting up instead of being able to see the actual lights inside. If the tubing was clear or translucent it would not give the desired effect.

A good example of what you are looking for is "Tinters Tubing"  The tubes that tint comes rolled up on, for tenting the windows of cars and other types of glass.  I use these types of tubes in my show and they work great. I use them as a ridged tube for A mega pole. I have four that are 15 feet tall.  The tubes vary in size.  I use PVC glue, and glue them together to get the height I want.  Only problem is they are only good of one season, due to the fact that they discolor due to the sun.  I will try to get a picture and post soon.

I made some multi-channel light bars/boxes for my porch columns. I covered the boxes with corrugated plastics sheeting.

I didn't want clear orsolid white CP, but a translucent "natural" color that had a whitish tint to it. So while you could call both the whiite and natural CP opague, the natural was much more translucent and provided a light box effect. With the white CP, you would have gotten a slight glow from inside.

• The topic was locked