Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding DMX device to LOR network

roknjohn

I want to know if I can control this "disco" light with my LOR setup (v3 + 240ch)?  The light has XLR jacks (DMX IN, DMX OUT) and literature says DMX512 controllable.   What would be involved hardware-wise?  Also, how would this light "look" in the sequence editor?  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20W-DMX512-Magic-Ball-DJ-Disco-Light-Lamp-RGB-VOX-PARTY-KTV-LED-Stage-Lighting-/400761484459

I can't help you with the DMX setup since I am a newbie at this myself, however I wanted to point out that the disco light that you gave the link to is 220v.  The first thing you'll need to do is find a 110v version.  Good luck!!!

First off, Dragon is right about the voltage.. I would send the seller a note asking if they have 120vac version. Chances are they do or this one will run off a wide voltage range.

As for the DMX question, you will need either a USB/DMX dongle, an iDMX1000, or a converter from e1.31 to DMX. The latter being the lower cost solution.  Look at J1Systems web site.  You should find what you need there.  Or you could use a DMX KING dongle.  I think those are about $60 last time I looked.

• 9 months later...

Wow, that iDMX1000 is $250.  

I'm not sure what I was looking for on the J1sysy site.  The DMX KiNG is another dongle, correct?  So I would use both my LOR dongle and the DMX King at the same time?  If so, that would mean another cable run up to my control room upstairs (PC location).

I guess I was hoping for something easier and cheaper.  I bought 4 of these DMX lights (110v) and was thinking that they would just wire into my LOR cat5 somewhere.  I'm guessing the 4 DMX devices would be daisy chained with XLR cables, then attached to some kind of bridge device that is hooked into my LOR cat5 chain.

Just to recap, I'd like my existing LOR controllers and sequences to remain unchanged.  Just want to add these 4 new DMX devices to appear as new channels in my LOR Sequence Editor.

• Like 1

The easy way is to buy a DMX dongle ( about $50.00 dollars ) Then use that dongle to set up a second network in lor for your DMX hardware you would now have two networks one for lor hardware and one for DMX they do not connect to each other

You can use a second LOR RS485 dongle (What connects to your current LOR dongle) as a DMX dongle. Instead of adding it in the LOR networks of the network config, add it to the DMX tab. It will have a different name so you will have to work out which one it is. Some say doing this can have problems but I run hundreds of pixels off one (160) and have never had a single problem. You will need a second wire though.

It is possible to do DMX512 wirelessly. You will have to work out which way will be more economical.

• 1 month later...

I was reading on the lor website that dmx is built in the 16 channel controllers.  I have hooked up a dmx-30 channel I have my red light solid.  I have unplugged all my controllers and plugged them back in to reboot them I have the green light flashing as it is receiving signal but still I don't get how to get it to work on the lor network or in sequence editor. also I have hooked it up daisy chained from my last controller because if in between my controllers they will not be seen or detected.  I don't want to pay 250 for some dongle and have to use the xlr ports. 

I would like to run it off my existing lor.  any help is appreciated

Edited by boatdog357

yes

it works as the same but connects to my serial com port.  I reserve all my usb ports besides my controllers are only like 30 feet from my pc.  

well I decided to work around the rgb for now. got my mega tree up and some of my sets of multi led are halfway out  so for now it is going to be a 8 channel tree.  TIP TO ANYONE  (THE LIGHT KEEPER PRO IS AMAZING) 

I bought this item www.ebay.com/itm/321790541403 and going to see if it works.  I normally avoid buying things that are not lor but 159  to  259  dollars for a dongle is insane.  Hopefully this dmx from xlights will work with it. this is a nice controller.  cause I am not switching my lor controllers to dmx last time I heard someone tried that directly to a com port their pc motherboard went up in smoke. 

post-14552-0-08594300-1448935745_thumb.j

Edited by boatdog357

• 2 weeks later...

thank you dmitriy.  I have noticed that my board does receives lor signal but the board is receiving It as lor and I need it to be dmx.  I am going to radioshack and buy me some cat 45 jacks and make me a crossover.  so pretty much this thing will be connected to the end of my lor controllers and then switched to dmx.  will repost update on how it turns out. 

yes it works  but I have to configure my channels cause some are coming on and off with others on my lor network  I bought two cat 5 modular jacks and made me a crossover.  the side I used to connect to my dmx board all color code matching in category B on the jack.  on my lor side coming from my last controller.

I switched out orange with white stripe  to solid blue pin 4 

solid orange pin 2 with solid blue pin 5

solid green pin 7 to brown with white stripe pin 7

I left brown pin 8 the same

as well as green with white stripe pin 3

the remaining three wires I just taped up and tucked aside

I cant seem to  debug the channels coming on with lor controller channels and it seems it don't matter what I set on the dip switch.  I have ordered me a open entech dongle.  that should send me in the direction to find out if my rgb dmx controller is faulty.   any more tips or ideas anyone let me know.   

Edited by boatdog357