Light-O-Rama Forums

Converted retail snowflake to RGB

Ken Benedict

Thank you Ken. Didn't mean to highjack the thread but you did a great job!!! Appreciate the info. I use Vegas Video for editing. Its what I learned on.

Bob

• 5 months later...

Sorry to drag this one back up again, but I am interested to know how you physically inserted the RGB modules? I took a quick look at one of my new ones yesterday and did not see any way of getting them in without destroying the material?

Thanks

This might help. You'll find some zip ties around the hub. Cut these and the snowflake comes apart into two pieces.

19487397109_898ffb31f3_z_d.jpg

OK.. I don't want to hijack Ken's thread either.. but a sneak peak at the Star Flakes .... This is all Kens fault BTW..

No fancy video here.. Ken does that so well...   But here is just a short peek at what I am doing this year.. I built 20 of them so they should be fun..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd2qtphq605fhwn/20150328_110005.mp4?dl=0

About 30% of mine had to be fixed because they came out of the box crushed.. How about you John?

Sweet baby Jesus are those awesome.  Great work guys.

I just got my pre-sale items from HC so I'll be starting in on mine later this week.  I'll post a video once I complete all 9.  

About 30% of mine had to be fixed because they came out of the box crushed.. How about you John?

I guess I was lucky, none of mine were crushed.

Why oh why did you have to do that?  ;)

Great work.  Thanks for the idea.  

LOL.. it was Ken's fault.. blame him! 

• 1 month later...

I haven't branched over to pixels yet, but this is my first foray into RGB.  I was up til 1:00am last night to finish soldering the module pigtails.  

Many thanks to Ken (for the inspiration) and everyone else for answering my 'dumb' RGB/soldering questions (pun intended)... John Storms, Darryl, sax, George Simmons, gmacw, sax, k6ccc (sorry I don't most of your real names yet).  I'm sure I'm missing a few names too.

I'm hoping to have another video up once I finish the other eight (and possibly a tutorial/walkthrough).

Jerod

jrock_at_rons-

Awesome job! That is a great idea. Especially for the after Christmas sales to pick up items on the cheap and then gut then to incorporate RGB into it. BTW...my work bench is damn near an exact match as yours. LOL. I wonder how many others out there have a work areas that shows signs of doing heavy duty wear and tear from Christmas decorating / display building. That should be another thread instead of showing of the displays..show off where all the hard work is done!!

• 3 weeks later...

BTW...my work bench is damn near an exact match as yours. 

Nice.  While I sit in an air-conditioned office all day, I fancy myself an amateur carpenter in the evening and on weekends.  My carpentry skills are now mainly used to build props for the light show (although around Christmas I'll start up the workshop again to make Christmas presents).    

• The topic was locked