Light-O-Rama Forums

Com's lost, shows continue, network outputs good, USB's dead

CK57

Has anyone experienced loss of output to USB ports and comm ports, but no problems with network outputs? During period of Nov 28th to Dec 29th every couple of days my laptop would loose all the com's. Controllers running on 1.31 network outputs worked fine, the LOR controllers all died due the failure on USB ports. Even my mouse lost connectivity and had to use thumb pad to disable show and turn off PC. Only by leaving PC off for several hours would problem go away. Restarting after shutting down did not clear problems. Verifiier would only show the Com listener had lost signal. Since the shows continued to run not clear that any memory problems exist. This is on windows 7 and 64 bit laptop with 8 meg ram and decent processor. Version 3.11.2 version advanced. Shows ran with simple show build. Why are the USB ports getting killed off? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have seen the same on a brand new Dell Optiplex. Not sure why but sometimes the box lost the LOR and the ENTTEC Pro. The RDS and Transmitter Remote (also USB to serial) kept working. I have been blaming it on a Microsoft patch to deal with the FTDI usb issues. Powering down and powering back up fixed everything. Happened three times this season. Very strange...

Viennaxnas, I dont think your problem is the same as CK57. You are able to recover with just rebooting. Where as CK57 said he had to let his computer sit for a bit.

CK57, Have you ever taken a can of compressed air and blew out your computer. Find the vents that blow out air when the computer is powered up. Shut down the computer and take it outside or at this time of year, maybe the garage. Blow air back into those vents. I usually get a big blast of dust out of the fan on the bottom. Keep blowing around till the dust stops, then give it one or two more shots. I found I have multiple vents to blow into.   Sounds like you have a heat problem and it might even be the south bridge (maybe the north bridge). But definitely a heat related problem.

I know that in Windows 8.1, advanced power settings, 8.1 has the ability to turn off usb ports. I don't know that Windows 7 has that same issue or not. Its something to look at only.