Light-O-Rama Forums

JST Connector for RGB Lights

jfuller8400

Has anyone used these 4 wire JST connectors for their RGB lights?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-100X-Waterproof-JST-connector-wire-3528-5050-RGB-LED-Light-Strips-4Pin-Cable-/261267353440?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&var=&hash=item3cd4bf6f60

Pros? Cons? 

I have a hard time believing they are actually waterproof.

These connectors are not waterproof and if out in the weather you will experience problems. I have these on my RGB lights surrounding my house and I am having problems with the wires rusting off of them and also corrosion of the contacts. I plan on replacing them all with the waterproof sealed ones. Over 100 connections to replace, I am not looking forward to that.

I have trouble with one string of flex light that I didn't cut off the jst and put a waterproof on, plus the wires are THIN.

They are "waterproof" in the concept if they are not sitting in standing water they are comparmetalized and it would be difficult for a single drip to be able to touch two pins at once.

The threshold of what one considers "waterproof" is widely variable.  According to all the IP ratings, there's many different degrees and specifics of "waterproof".

And then there are items being sold as IP68 which usually means I can rinse them down with my pressure washer. Three drips of rain and they fail...

Probably going to have to replace some of my wiring on my RGB strips. I use connectors like in the link PhilMassey posted above.

Wondering if anyone has used any of these connectors?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=400838350052

Suppose to just clamp on the strip with no soldering.

Edited by Paul Roberson

• The topic was locked