Light-O-Rama Forums

KARE-11

Tim Fischer

KARE-11 did an 'extra' which ran last night and this morning that featured our display.

They contacted me last week, and said they were doing a story on LED lights and other "new things in decorating" and wanted to come talk with me. I said no problem...

Well, as it turned out, the story ended up being more about our display than I really feel comfortable with, since I was trying to keep a lower profile this year... I had assumed they would cover a number of local displays and ours really wouldn't be marketed as a 'standout'... I really don't want a huge influx of traffic. They videoed Cathy and I doing setup last week for awhile, then came back the other night to get the lights in action.

Yesterday they called me and said they wanted to bring in a live truck to do a live shot from the display as the story aired. I said "thanks but no thanks", as we have an agreement to shut the display down at 9:30. No need to cause even more neighbor friction, and I had another station do a live shot last year...

Ironically, we don't have THAT many LED lights, especially compared to many of you here... I certainly didn't seek out the attention... we're not even listed in the paper this year...

Here's the link:
http://www.kare11.com/video/player.aspx?aid=58706&bw=

And the text version: http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=271177

Disclaimer - I really sound stupid (even more than usual) when my lips are frozen from working out in single-digit weather while being chased by a camera crew!

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

... I really don't want a huge influx of traffic.

Then your in the wrong "business"....LOL

Seriously though, I think thats the best part. Seeing all the kids and families come by night after night and really enjoy the show is the best part.

Nice video though...;)

Greg

Ponddude wrote:

Then your in the wrong "business"....LOL

Seriously though, I think thats the best part. Seeing all the kids and families come by night after night and really enjoy the show is the best part.

No doubt. What's not so nice is traffic that clogs the streets, people honking horns because they get impatient, etc. etc. We havent really gotten terrible yet and I'd like to keep it that way.

And we already have two houses nearby that won't speak to us (save an occasional fit of yelling) 24/7/365 due to our display.

There is also a fire station nearby that serves over 1/3 of this suburb of 70,000, so if traffic got really bad and affected that, the city would have a very good reason to shut us down...

-Tim

Jeff Millard wrote:

I have a plan to offend them if they pull that trick though....:cool:

C'mon -- you gotta tell us.

Have you sequenced the death scene from Braveheart or something?? :)

Push Eject wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
I have a plan to offend them if they pull that trick though....:cool:

C'mon -- you gotta tell us.

Have you sequenced the death scene from Braveheart or something?? :)

Cool, complete with animatronics?

-Tim

Tim,

I think that's great that the TV Station did a spot on your display, that says a lot about how good of a job you & your wife do! But at the same time, I can certainly understand you not wanting the "live" broadcast.
Like you with your neighbors, I was really concerned about my neighbors and the possible traffic jams. But to my amazement, my neighbors have been supportive (so far) and like the show. I have not received any complaints as of yet. As for traffic, I feel I have been lucky there... only 1, maybe two cars a night. I did not advertise and have no plans to do so.

Anyway, I just wanted to put my two cents in and say Congratulations to you for making the news!!!

Jeff

• The topic was locked