Light-O-Rama Forums

12 OR 16 CCR?

godman

I'm thinking about a CCR tree for 2015 ad was wondering about 12 vs 16. I see both and was wondering if there are any drawbacks or benefits to either (except the cost)

Thanks in advance!

You are starting to see many more sequences able to be purchased with 16 CCRs.  I did a 16 CCR tree this year, but still had many 12 CCR purchased sequences in the show.  I really could not tell the difference, and I'm sure my audience didn't either.  Both look amazing!

Godman,

I am in the same boat as you. I just ordered enough aluminum tubing from a local shop for a 16 CCR tree, but like iflights said, I plan to use 12 CCR sequences as well as 16 CCR sequences. 

I have only seen one website that sells 16 CCR sequences, so if there are others, please share. If you look at the sequences on holidaysequences, he has done the same song for both 12 and 16 in some cases, so you can see the differences there in what it would look like.

iflights, how do you handle doing the channels on the CCR tree in order to display both 12 and 16 CCR sequences? I'd assume the outer 4 ropes are numbered 13, 14, then 15, 16 while the inner 12 are ordered sequentially?

Edited by robigd

iflights, how do you handle doing the channels on the CCR tree in order to display both 12 and 16 CCR sequences? I'd assume the outer 4 ropes are numbered 13, 14, then 15, 16 while the inner 12 are ordered sequentially?

The outer 2 strands are 1, 2 & 15, 16.  I simply paste the CCR sequence starting on strand 3 which effectively centers the 12 CCR sequence directly in the middle of the tree.

I'm using pixels instead of CCR's for cost reasons but this next season, I'm going to move to 16 strings instead of just 12. 12 looked great but I think 16 will look better. Yes, it means changes in my hardware configuration therefore all of the sequences using the pixels will need to be updated too. I'm thinking of expanding on this too by possibly replacing the arches...remove incans and going to pixels. Sort of depends on how far I can run the data cables from the controller. Will test the possibilities during the year.

I am also thinking about expanding my pixel tree from 12 to 16 string. If I do, I will have to add another E1.31 controller since all 16 outputs of my E682 are used (12 for the 12 strings of the tree, and 4 for the pixel star). Most likely get a E6804 and move the star to that and that would leave four ports open for additional strings.

I think it comes down to are you going to do text or graphics,  If you plan on these the more strands the better the resolution, if you are planning in scrolls, melts etc. 12 works good (and 25 % less expensive) The more you have the brighter it gets and can overpower the rest of your display. 

I've got a new hardware plan for my P12S to handle all 16 strings of the pixel tree, two firesticks with each having a single pixel string and now four arches, each with one pixel string...total of 8 universes out of the 12 there but I may elect to separate into two different controllers to make it easier. Another controller is $225 so I may do that.

This was my first year with pixel's and I went with the 12 pixel 180 tree with ws2811 12V square and the p12S controller and it worked out great...So now I have bought my second controller (P12S) and want to expand...When I did my tree I didn't want to worry about PI so just used one set of 50 pixels per bank on the p12 which worked out fine. I know I can get more out of it so I'll need to experiment with PI this year and at least get the full 170 out of each Universe

• 4 weeks later...

What is the best distance at to view a 16 CCR tree at?

Does 16 give better resolution? What spacing at the bottom. I have seen posts that says anywhere from 8-15" spacing at the bottom? I would think the closer together they are the better resolution?

What is the best distance at to view a 16 CCR tree at?

Does 16 give better resolution? What spacing at the bottom. I have seen posts that says anywhere from 8-15" spacing at the bottom? I would think the closer together they are the better resolution?

I had a 12 ccr Matrix for two years & it looked good from the sidewalk at 30 feet. I hope to have a 16 ccr tree this year.  I know how good a 12 ccr Matrix looks & how good the resolution was at 3 inches apart between ribbons & I for one am not using the 12" from centre of ribbon to centre of ribbon, I will be closing the gap. Nevertheless I have more pressing matters so my tree is on hold until later once I get other stuff out of the way. 

There is another thread with this in it for football but if you look at how good the resolution is in this 14 ccr tree then you will have your answer about " I would think the closer together they are the better resolution?"

Edited by lightzilla

actually the above is a 15 CCR tree...I would go with an odd number of CCR's...so you have one in the middle you can do different effects with...same as arches..I think it's best to have an odd amount of sections...and at the bottom of the above tree it is spaced at 6" on center and 2" at the top.

And the video above does not give justice to the clarity of the CCR tree...so much brighter and better in person

Edited by jimswinder

actually the above is a 15 CCR tree...I would go with an odd number of CCR's...so you have one in the middle you can do different effects with...same as arches..I think it's best to have an odd amount of sections...and at the bottom of the above tree it is spaced at 6" on center and 2" at the top.

And the video above does not give justice to the clarity of the CCR tree...so much brighter and better in person

I thought it was around 6" spacing (from centre to centre) at the bottom, & the top I thought was about 2 or 3 inches apart. I am actually leaning to the odd number in ccrs too, & not just because of the different effects, but in drawing images as well.  If I do go odd then it will be 17 & that way if I need to buy sequences then I can put a 12 or 16 ccr sequence in it on top of the 17 ccrs sequences I do.

It is always better in person.  Like I mentioned once you owned a 12 ccr Matrix & saw how good the clarity is then you really do not want to settle for less.

Edited by lightzilla

• The topic was locked