Light-O-Rama Forums

Need advice, projector 3d mapping is my new adventure.

Bcspy

Really want to get into using projector mapping for Christmas and Halloween.  I want to project the entire house.  I just ordered Cyberlink Powerdirector 13 for the software.  Now need a projector.  Not sure what brand and type to get.  What is the minimum Lumen, and distance to project? Can I use Light O Rama to start the show or will I have problems.  I would like to place the projector by the carport/mailbox area by the sidewalk.  Any advice would be great.

post-6125-0-81198600-1419646618_thumb.jp

I have used the more expensive Sanyo and BenQ short throw projectors with a lot of success. This is my third year of doing projection mappings and I can say that my third year, I finally got really good at it. It's a huge initial learning curve and you will have a lot of trial and error. If you're wanting to include it as shooting a video on the side of your house as part of a LOR light display, that shouldn't be too bad, but you'll need a really bright projector. I'm not sue about running it from LOR, I don't see how you would do that. I 'm adding LOR stuff for next year on the other side of my house. So I'll be able to tell you more on how I plan on combining them later this year. I did LOR many years ago and started the switch to projections about 4 years ago. So I never combined the two. I would need to know more about the dimensions of your house and if you will be overcoming any xmas lights, street lamps, bright neighbors, etc. to say exactly how many lumens. I have my lights and projection mapping on separate sides of a larger house (I live on a corner in a cul-de-sac and it's the most ideal house for a Christmas display). For many reasons that are beyond this discussion, I'm using two short throw projectors for a total of around 4500 lumens. Trust me, you want to start with one projector. Go with something that's at least 2500 lumens. Anything below that will be too dark. Don't be afraid to shell out some cash for a decent short throw. You will thank yourself later. Also, keep an extra bulb around or a backup projector. Looks like you're in Hawaii and that probably helps a lot with the elements, but they're still easy to burn out. I live in the Chicago area and our weather is brutal. All it takes is a kid running through and knocking out your power to blow a very expensive bulb.

Thanks. I'm going to find a 3000 lumen Optoma or Epson short throw projector. Research on a timer and find a way to use both LOR and projector. Would turning on the projector from 6 to 11 everyday will heat up the system.

I am using a projector with "Santa Symphony' in a wreath.  I play the video out of LOR using a second video card.  I transport the video to the yard with a high end Hall Research VGA over Cat5 extender.  I control the projector with RS-232 using the LOR windows command line and a batch files.  I use a LOR startup and shutdown sequence to turn the projector on and off.  I am also thinking about mapping also. I am 100% comfortable with the technology side but the content creation is another issue!

KEN 

You can run video from LOR by having a sound track together with a video of your choice.

Best bet is to run one projector shining on the side (or sides) of the house you want.

Adjacent sides work great, like a front and a side; then put your projector at a 45 degree angle on the common corner.

You would need to make a mask of your house pattern and put that into your video editing software so it fits the front and side.

Add your musical sound track and render it so that LOR can read it.

You must have your projector mounted in the same place every time. And be weatherproof.

There's an abundance of video editors out there; search the LOR forum for what everyone uses.

I use a Panasonic PT-L780U projector with VGA input; picked several up on Ebay for $100 each and they're 3200 lumens with a $60 bulb replacement when the time comes. Lotta bang for the buck. I have eight of these projectors. VGA can run 150 feet with good cable.

There's probably a way to use LOR to output to multiple projectors directly, but I haven't pursued it much.

I use Resolume Arena for my two- and three-projector shows inside clubs and theatres. But I split the signal with a Matrox unit.

Resolume can also be triggered using DMX, similar to a Madrix, but haven't pursued that either. Madrix can output DVI videos or control matrix type of LEDs.

LOR an control a Madrix unit but Nutcracker can do pretty much the same thing and it's free but cannot output videos.

• Like 1

Ken, thanks for this information. I, too, would like to add video next. Do you use/like vizbox enclosures? It looks top-of-the-line, and I was wondering ballpark pricing for a custom built enclosure. Thanks again.

Staying "somewhat" on topic.....

What is being used for a projection medium?

Obviously the 3D mapping is using the house .. but for those that project into wreath for example.. what is being used for screen material?

Also... do most projectors perform some variety of "mirroring" function to project from behind the screen?

Finally, those that use LOR for video projection, what additional overhead has been seen as far computer needs?

Thanks for the info ...

Bob

Look on Ebay for Projectors, I've seen some of the 4000 lumens ones going for under 300.00. I too am looking at projection mapping. The Challenge isn't the projector, but rather the software. Any one have a good recommendation for WIndows? and the cost on some of the softwares... WOW:)

Thx

Kip

From researching, the background can be shower curtain, disposable table cloth, and mosquito netting.  I'm using the Cyberlink Powerdirector 13 for this first year.  Cyberlnk currently have a 75% off special for $60 with free holiday and travel effects.

Thanks Charles, for sharing to the world and that's a lot of hard work.  For us newbies, this project will give us headache and once finished. It will be worth it.

Thanks Charles, for sharing to the world and that's a lot of hard work.  For us newbies, this project will give us headache and once finished. It will be worth it.

Bcspy,

I wasn't very clear on my first post.  I meant for you to read the part about how I went about creating content and the process of projecting on my house.  I wasn't trying to get you to read the ABC portion of that post.

Charles

You was clear.  Very good write up.  I just have to do more research and playing with the S3.   Should we invest in a good short throw projector with a high lumen or buy a cheap one on ebay.

Edited by Bcspy

You was clear.  Very good write up.  I just have to do more research and playing with the S3.   Should we invest in a good short throw projector with a high lumen or buy a cheap one on ebay.

Bscspy,

I would buy a cheap one to use inside during your learning phase--BUT, I would buy one with the native resolution you will eventually want/need to fill the area you later want to project upon.  The question you need to ask yourself is whether that area is closer to a 16:9 or a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Charles

To answer your question - Yes they heat up running for even a short time. Even being in the cold weather, I have to vent my enclosure and have an exhaust fan. You also have to shut them down slowly or you can blow a bulb. You might find it easier without any angles initially. Mapping a flat surface is much easier.

I'm sending my video via wireless. I'm not sure how or if I can combine that with LOR. Having used cables in the past, I recommend using wireless streaming.

Another thing to consider is projection distance and projection size. Go to projectorcentral.com and lookup the model you're looking at. It will tell you the throw distance range and image size range. Make sure the size is large enough for the area you want to project on and that you have enough distance away from it.

I am using a projector with "Santa Symphony' in a wreath.  I play the video out of LOR using a second video card.  I transport the video to the yard with a high end Hall Research VGA over Cat5 extender.  I control the projector with RS-232 using the LOR windows command line and a batch files.  I use a LOR startup and shutdown sequence to turn the projector on and off.  I am also thinking about mapping also. I am 100% comfortable with the technology side but the content creation is another issue!

KEN 

Could you elaborate on your projector control using the command line and the batch files (examples)?

• 8 months later...

I have been watching this thread since the start. I just spec'ed out a projector at work that may solve a couple of problems. The projector we purchase is 3000 lumens and is awesome. Check out Casio's line of Lamp-Free projectors. They use a laser and LED for the light engine. 8 second startup, no big deal on shutdown. Temps are way lower.