Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat5 cable

Guest guest

Since this is the LOR forum I feel the need to clarify:

LOR does NOT use the ethernet protocol! It simply uses Cat-5 cables or Cat-3 phone cables.

This is a common misperception. Plugging an LOR board into an ethernet router or the like could be bad news.

-Tim

Thanks for the quick response , I think for this application I will stick with the CAT5, the CAT6 comes at a significantly higher price tag than CAT5 or CAT5e and I don’t think I will need it for this Protocol , I may still consider using CAT6 for other computer networking in the house , thanks for the heads up there Tim, I understand that LOR does not use ethernet protocol the Rs232 to Sc485 adapter was a dead giveaway. ;)

RayNMesa wrote:

Thanks for the quick response , I think for this application I will stick with the CAT5, the CAT6 comes at a significantly higher price tag than CAT5 or CAT5e and I don’t think I will need it for this Protocol , I may still consider using CAT6 for other computer networking in the house , thanks for the heads up there Tim, I understand that LOR does not use ethernet protocol the Rs232 to Sc485 adapter was a dead giveaway. ;)

Maybe a dead giveaway to me and you, but believe me . . .

there are peoplke out there that SEEM to know what they are doing . . .
its safer not to assume!

pixeldigger wrote:

RayNMesa wrote:

Maybe a dead giveaway to me and you, but believe me . . .

there are peoplke out there that SEEM to know what they are doing . . .
its safer not to assume!

Yes! Always better to error on the safe side when warning.... Here is something else that has been tried with LOR... Some folks have tried to use the existing, live telephone wires in the house to connect LOR controllers. The result is non-responsive Controllers. :{...

Dan, just out of cuiosity. Exactly of the eight wires in the cat5 how many are actually being used. Because even in a nomal network application only 4 of those are. That is sumwhat nice because you can split off and get two connection with it. Is that at all possible here.

RayNMesa wrote:

thanks for the heads up there Tim, I understand that LOR does not use ethernet protocol the Rs232 to Sc485 adapter was a dead giveaway. ;)

I figured you knew, but you'd be amazed how many people ask about hooking their LOR stuff to ethernet and 802.11 Wifi...

-Tim

itsmejrv wrote:

Dan, just out of cuiosity. Exactly of the eight wires in the cat5 how many are actually being used. Because even in a nomal network application only 4 of those are. That is sumwhat nice because you can split off and get two connection with it. Is that at all possible here.
The center 4 wires are used. This allows us to also use phone cable which has only 4 wires..... You cannot (with good results) split rs485. It needs to be a single line with very short drops. Our drops are only a couple of inches long, (the distance from the RJ45 connectors and the comm chip on the card).