Light-O-Rama Forums

Audio jumpy on show

Cdshakes

I ran a 16 channel unit last year with ver 1.5 and had no problems. This year i added another 16 channel unit to it and also upgraded to 1.6.1. I'm using the same machine to run the show-- a 800-900mhz/256mb ram laptop running XP with the USB serial converter. I understand that running the sequence editor to play it might be slow due to the visualization on the screen, but this is just running the show file. I'm not sure if it's due to the add'l 16 channels, or because of the software update, or both. When the sequence plays, every once in a while the audio "hiccups". It's different spots each time thru...

What should i do?

Colin

I do not think it is the additional channels or the software update. 800Mhz is plenty for what you want to do.

Are these the same songs that you had last year and they played okay?

Have you added any other software to this machine?

If you watch performance in the Task Manager do you see a lot of CPU being used?

it's the same machine running it, but i'm sure i've put stuff on that machine since last christmas. It's not a daily used machine, but i do kick around and use it for different things. I looked at cpu usage, and it's very low... most of the time around 4-6%(when the scheduled show is running).
I'm only running one sequenced song, and it's literally the same wav file that i used last year.
Funny thing also about 1.6.1 is i do most of my sequencing at work (shhh... don't tell the boss), my pc at work is worse... only like 700mhz (owner of company is cheap), and that can't keep up with the visualization(animation window) at all... i loaded last years 16 channel sequence today and it ran terribly as well. That machine has been formatted since last year, but i sequenced my 16 channel version on that same machine and the visualization was fine last year. It all looks fine on my regular home desktop machine (2ghz hyperthread...etc)

Are the sequences backward compatible (without going to LORII)? thinking about uninstalling and just running the old version.

Colin

As long as you have not gone to LOR II then you can go back to an earlier version. I would be supprised that it will help on the same note, it may help. Until you get to 1.6.3 or higher, we use the same code to play the music. 1.6.3 and above does use different code to play the audio so I could see a potential for a problem like this happening there... The only other time I heard of this problem it was caused by some jukebox program or some other audio program that had been installed on the machine but I do not remember the name of the program.

Cdshakes wrote:

does 1.6.1 require more cpu power to do visualization? 1.5.1 ran pretty smooth just for sequencing even here at work, and the newer version can't keep up visually.

Colin

I do not think there was any change in that area of the code.