Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequences Play in Sequence Editor, Not in Show Player

mgf

I swore I wouldn't let this beat me. I've searched throughout the forums and tried advice found in a number of close situations, all to no avail. So please bear with what I suspect is a newbie question answered somewhere I just haven't found.

Here's the situation. First time LOR user. 64 kit-built channels. Developed sequences on a laptop, moved files to a desktop for production. Both machines are XP Pro. Installed LORInstall163.exe, then HardwareUtility166.exe, then LORUpdate2.0.0, 2.0.4 and now 2.0.8.

All Sequences, musical and non-musical play great in the Sequence Editor. All lights and sounds are spot on.

Built a number of variations on Shows and Schedules. When I Enable Shows the Status window correctly shows the name of the Show that should be playing. It even ends and starts the next Show at the scheduled time. However, no lighting commands are sent and no music is played. All dark.

I tried using the Registry Wipe utility and resetting the directory - once to the same, once to a different directory. Didn't appear to make any difference. I've tried one animation shows, one animation plus a shutdown animation show, single and multiple musical sequences in a show. The show files are being saved, the schedule is being saved (I can see it when I restart the schedule editor).

My guess is there is something the foreground Sequence Editor can find that the background Show Player can't. I've tried the LOR directory as subordinate to "Shared DocumentsLights-O-Rama" and as "C:Light-O-Rama". COM port is COM3, which works with Sequence Editor, but the default at install time was COM1, which I changed in the Hardware Utility. Any chance Show Player is not looking at that parameter?

I have successfully played sequences to the lights with every version of the Sequence Editor, but this gamma release is the first time I've tried the Show Player, so I'm concerned something I would have debugged in 1.6.x could be the problem, and not something unique to the Gamma.

All Advice and Questions welcome. I'm at a loss. Sorry this entry is so long, but I wanted to save you all from repeating the vast quantity of help I found already posted. Right now running back the to Sequence Editor to change songs every few minutes is getting old -- not that I mind ;-) These devices are fantastic!

- Mike

I had a similar experience that is now running perfectly. I had one bad sequence that was ruining the bunch.

1. Try creating a show with one sequence in it and seeing if it runs. One and only one (I only use the "musical" tab).

2. If it doesn't, replace the sequence with a different one. Repeat until a show runs (with one single sequence in it).

3. Then, disable shows, add another sequence, save and reenable shows. See if it runs.

4. Repeat until you find an offending sequence. When you do, open said sequence in the sequence editor and toggle a cell then save it. Go back to step 2.

5. Enjoy a wonderful American Craftbeer from a local brewery.

Hope that helps,
Charlie

Progress!

Okay, Since this is happening on both my laptop and my desktop, I figure there must be something fundamentally wrong in my XP environment (unlikely) or in the way I did the software set-ups (more likely).

I uninstalled all LOR software, ran LORRegistryWipe and ran Registry Mechanic. Totally wiped it out (except for the USB Serial Port driver). Then I reinstalled 1.6.3 from the purchased CD, ran Hardware Utility to set the COM port, built a simple sequence, a simple show, and scheduled it. When I started the Control Panel and Enabled Shows every thing worked fine! Lights turned on and off via the Show Player, and shows started and ended as scheduled! A first for me.

I am now going to install the latest Gamma update and re-test. If that fails, then it's a problem. But I strongly suspect this problem arose because I installed the demo first, and then installed the purchased version and Gammas - all without ever running the background Show Player. Perhaps the demo prevented the update of some file or setting by the later installs? Not sure. But if this is it, the lesson is well learned to uninstall the prior version before installing a new (complete) version.

I'll post an update when I'm back up to 2.0.8.

Thanks, all.

that sounds very likely, i have heard of the demos having files left behind causing problems and the lor installer not getting all the old files. somethingi know they have been trying to figure out why it happens. but that should do the trick.

I am gonna be in the BACK of that abulance if i cannot get it figured out.... LOL!!!!

I have been having the same problem, and figured it would be resolved with the release of "the deuce"! Well, I have followed the instructions above to no avail!

Number 5 seems to be helping but still cannot get the shows to run.

Any other suggestions out there?

Happy Holidays all!!!!

-Mike-

I had a similar issue that I think I finally solved last night. My sequences were playing fine in the editor, I added about six to a show and scheduled it, two sequences ran fine and just repeated until the show ended - the other four sequences never played.

I'm running 2.0.8 and this was happening on three different machines (Windows 2000, Windows XP SP2 and Vista) so I assumed it wasn't a machine/OS issue and started looking more closely at my sequences. Checked the usual suspects - media file not properly referenced, sequence not ending automatically, etc. Everything checked out so I started looking at my channel configuration. Last year I used some X10 modules and initially had added those modules to my channel config thinking I would use them again for some static items. I ended up having a couple spare channels to use so I pretty much forgot about the X10 channels in the config (and didn't setup the COM port to use to communicate with the CM11A interface) until I realized that the two songs playing DID NOT have the X10 channels included in the channel config. So I checked the four that weren't playing, all four had the X10 channels. After removing the X10 channels all sequences played as expected. I guess this makes perfect sense, but was a frustrating couple days trying to figure it out. Perhaps next time I have a problem like this I will try step 5 mentioned above, might help the troubleshooting.

Todd

What is becoming obvious from these threads is that LOR might want to start writing to a log file.

Then we will have somewhere to look when things do go as expected.

Something like this would be helpful in, say, //My Documents/Light-O-Rama/scheduler.log

Welcome to Light-O-Rama
shows are enabled
12-04-07 17:00:00 SND initiate controllers
12-04-07 17:00:01 RCD unit id 1 1602 okay
12-04-07 17:00:01 RCD unit id 3 16pc okay
12-04-07 17:00:01 RCD unit id 4 16pc okay
12-04-07 17:00:01 RCD unit id 2 1602 okay
12-04-07 17:00:02 open show 'c:my documentslight-o-rama07 Main Show.lss'
12-04-07 17:00:03 open sequence 'c:my documentslight-o-ramasequencesbganimation.las'
12-04-07 17:00:03 open sequence 'c:my documentslight-o-ramasequences07 Intro.lms'
12-04-07 17:00:03 media file not found 'c:my documentslight-o-ramaaudiointro.mp3'
12-04-07 17:00:03 sequence skipped
12-04-07 17:00:04 open sequence 'c:my documentslight-o-ramasequencesWizards.lms'
12-04-07 17:03:18 close sequence
12-04-07 17:03:18 open sequence 'c:my documentslight-o-ramasequencesHolly Jolly.lms'
12-04-07 17:03:18 channel conflict on unit id 3, 12
12-04-07 17:03:21 channel conflict on unit id 3, 12
12-04-07 17:03:23 channel conflict on unit id 3, 12
12-04-07 17:03:42 shows disabled by operator

Charlie

lazend wrote:

Last year I used some X10 modules and initially had added those modules to my channel config thinking I would use them again for some static items. I ended up having a couple spare channels to use so I pretty much forgot about the X10 channels in the config (and didn't setup the COM port to use to communicate with the CM11A interface) until I realized that the two songs playing DID NOT have the X10 channels included in the channel config. So I checked the four that weren't playing, all four had the X10 channels. After removing the X10 channels all sequences played as expected. I guess this makes perfect sense, but was a frustrating couple days trying to figure it out. Perhaps next time I have a problem like this I will try step 5 mentioned above, might help the troubleshooting.

Todd

I had the same experience as far as unused X10 channels. When I first upgraded my Win2k show machine from 1.61 to 2.08, the lights wouldn't come on even though the status indicated otherwise. I removed the two X10 channels and problem solved.

Mark

Mark Steele wrote:

lazend wrote:
Last year I used some X10 modules and initially had added those modules to my channel config thinking I would use them again for some static items. I ended up having a couple spare channels to use so I pretty much forgot about the X10 channels in the config (and didn't setup the COM port to use to communicate with the CM11A interface) until I realized that the two songs playing DID NOT have the X10 channels included in the channel config. So I checked the four that weren't playing, all four had the X10 channels. After removing the X10 channels all sequences played as expected. I guess this makes perfect sense, but was a frustrating couple days trying to figure it out. Perhaps next time I have a problem like this I will try step 5 mentioned above, might help the troubleshooting.

Todd

I was just searching for an answer to this same problem. I have one sequence that completely fails to play in the scheduler, but does fine in sequence editor. It did have a couple of dummy x10 channels in it that the others did not. I just deleted those and we will see if it runs tomorrow night. It's my warmup sequence and the show is already running so will have to wait another 24 hours to see if the problem is solved.
I had the same experience as far as unused X10 channels. When I first upgraded my Win2k show machine from 1.61 to 2.08, the lights wouldn't come on even though the status indicated otherwise. I removed the two X10 channels and problem solved.

Mark

Okay, I guess I am just LOR "dumb"..... I have tried ALL of the above to no avail......

if anyone out there is feeling sorry for me, please PM me and maybe "talking" about it will help!!!!

Thanks,

-Mike-