Light-O-Rama Forums

Can you update sequences while show is playing

toymakr000

Is it possible to update a sequence while a show is playing?
My thought is to keep the file names the same and copy the new sequence into the same directory. I probably can't do this while that sequence is playing without crashing, but how about when it's not playing that sequence?

Tried it a little earlier and to answer all your questions, yes you can update/work on sequences while the show is playing but no the show will not use the updated file. The software must upload the sequences prior to playing the show. What I did to get my new files in the show was to disable the show at the point where it loops back to the beginning and then enabling it. When the show starts back up it loads the sequences again this time with the updates. No problems with the show crashing, just don't play the sequence with the editor it sounds a little funny:P

Thanks Dan

That's kind of what I was thinking. I do all of my sequencing on my laptop while relaxing on the couch. Then I transfer my files and repoint the audio file to the correct directory. This works great in a few ways. I'm more comfortable, I get backups on two computers, and (don't tell my wife) I'm spending time with the family while doing something else(multitasking):)

My show computer is kind of wimpy, but I can't do virtually anything on it, even opening a windows window, without the audio stuttering if the show is playing...

-Tim

PipefitterDan wrote:

Tried it a little earlier and to answer all your questions, yes you can update/work on sequences while the show is playing but no the show will not use the updated file.

Maybe that depends on how many sequences you have in your show, because I copied a new version of a sequence to the "Sequences" folder (from a CD-ROM, which I wrote on a separate computer where I edit my sequences). I did this while the show was running, and when it got to the point where it played that sequence, it played the new version.