Light-O-Rama Forums

No show this year so far - Invalid bass.dll (3.2 required)

stonecutter2

I'm at a loss on this one.

Note:  thread title should say 2.3 required, not 3.2 - oops.

My bro-in-law updated his LOR from 2.9.4 to 3.11.2 and as a result, windows pops up titled the following, in sequence:

BASS_AAC

BASS_ALAC

BASS_APE

The error message says "Invalid bass.dll version (2.3 required)" upon trying to play any sequence he has previously created in LOR, except two.  For whatever reason, two sequences work perfectly as expected.  But 2 sequences does not a show make!

Once the errors occur, LOR freezes up and must be forced to shut down.

When I try to create a new sequence using the media file, the same bass.dll errors occur during media analysis and I can't create a sequence.

Any ideas?

This is preventing my bro-in-law from running his show.  :(

I've tried to repair the installation, and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling 3.11.2 - no luck, same error.

All media files play perfectly fine through Windows Media Player...so it's not as if his Windows got corrupted and he can't play audio files.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, thank you!

Edited by stonecutter2

We found a workaround. The only sequences that worked were in wma format, but all mp3s were throwing the errors. So we converted the mp3 files to wma and changed the media file to use the wma. The show can run now.

Does 3.11.2 have known issues with mp3 files??

This doesn't seem like something on our end, as the sequences worked fine before upgrading. And the sequences run fine when using a wma file. Nothing changed except light o Rama software suite from 2.9.4 to 3.11.2....

The system in question is running Windows XP.

I dont think LOR is using the BASS  audio  libraries.    LOR uses the windows media player and some audio utilities. 

As Bob said, we have nothing to do with the BASS libraries.  They were installed on your computer by another program (possibly a game or media thing).  Since they have now inserted themselves into the DLL CODEC chain, they are crashing us out.

You need to somehow remove those CODECs - you can start by uninstalling any media program or game you may have installed between last year and this year.

• 3 weeks later...

BobO pointed me to this thread from my thread http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/34805-bassdll-wrong-version/#entry318750 about the exact same problem.

I'm going to find what did it to me, AND will post the solution here and in my thread.

Thanks Guys, for the help, it's a good starting point.....

Greg

Update > I had installed some video file conversion software, will start with removing it in the reverse order that it was installed ( 4 programs) I think they have something to do with it... will follow up with a progress report......

Edited by a31ford

So.... "TADA"  fixed... (well...)

To make a long story short,  start, search, all files and folders ,  type the filename bass.dll (make sure searching in hidden folders AND system folders is enabled in the advanced search options search)

To prove to myself I figured it out, I simply did a "rename"  of each file and added .old (note the dot in-front of .old) this way the file is still intact if you need it to run something else (in my case it's the two programs that the search found the bass.dll file in those folders)

Opened the LOR sequence editor, works great !!!!!! (no bass.dll error )

the stuff in the recycler is ME testing so disregard those entries.....

Bassdllfound_zpsb18c8608.gif

So I guess the way this file works (the bass.dll file) is that once it's on your computer, simply renaming it STOPS it from tagging into the LOR sequence editor, when you start it.

I hope this simple solution works for all people that have this problem.

Greg

Edited by a31ford

You may have got S3 to run properly, but you will find out that now another one of your programs will refuse to run.  Something installed that into the Codec chain and now that it is missing from the computer that program isn't going to work any more.

Hi Mike, I realize that, and this is why i had renamed the files to a dot old.

Once I figure out what it affected, I'll decide if I want to keep the other programs or simply trash them.

At least it was a simple fix to get the sequence editor working correctly again.....

Happy New Year !!

Greg