Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Strips around windows

MrMr

Evening,

I know this has probably been discussed too many times on this forum but really need some help. Any advice how to get LOR RGB strips around corners of windows when you are very worried about soldering (will not end well). Any recommendations?

C

I built simple wood frames which fit into the window edges...bricks in my case. I used zipties to hold the strips around the frames and close in the corners. I didn't have to solder anything and they look ok.

Do a search at the top right of this page: window frame mounting. jrock built wood frames and has a picture posted. I did the same thing, but used RGB's on the inside as stated above. I did use alumn. channel and translucent dome covers. I got those from Holiday Coro. They worked great. 

One more question. you would think there are some form of adjustable window frames to buy for this purpose? Anybody have any recommendations (first year and a bit over committed :))

BTW cant find the above in search, I might be screwing it up though

C

I made wood frames for my windows and routed a 1/2" 14 degree dovetail grove in the wood face to hold the RGB ribbon in place without zip ties or double sided tape. I also cut the face of the wood frames at a 45 degree angle so that ribbon would make the turns without issues around the corners. If you are using CCRs then the dovetail grove would need to be 5/8" 14 degree. The CCRs are a little wider than the RGB ribbons.  

I saw something once where you build a PVC frame and then basically zip tie your ribbon to that. Around the corner just cut the ribbon and solider some short wires to make a 90° turn.  To attach them to the house you use a PVC coupler cut in half, or some places even sell them. The little coupler gets screwed to the side of the house  and then painted over with the same color house paint that way it doesn't really show.

Looks like a pretty slick way of doing it.  I'd like to try it but I have a very high roof with slippery cedar shakes. No way will I get up there.

• photo-thumb-14207.jpg?_r=1396543935
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 58 posts
  • LocationMuskego, WI

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:10 AM

So I completed my seven window frames last night.  Because they are pine, I'm going to paint them so they don't rot.  I'll be mounting my C9s to them with surface clips. 

After that its on to mounting.

I'm thinking of adding eye hooks to the top corners and then mounting 'L' bolts/hooks to the cedar trim of the windows.  To put them up then I would just need to hang the eye bolt from the 'L' (or hook) and attach a small latch to the bottom (to keep them from blowing in the wind).

Has anyone else done this?... or have a better 'tried and true' method of mounting window frames?

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-14207-0-49604300-1413990908_thumb.j

I have mine attached to vinyl J channel that just slides behind the existing J channel that is around my windows and it locks in place. I have wire connecters soldered at each corner connecting the 4 strips together. Couple places have rather long runs of RGB strips and have to be powered at a couple of the corners to keep the "white" from being pink.

I zip tied my RGB strips to 1/2 in pvc pipe and snapped them in to pvc clips mounted on my window frames. The strips are tougher then they look and when I had to go around the corner I just put a simple bend with a small arch in the strip around the corner and it works perfectly.

Here are what mine looks like.

post-13015-0-66791500-1417872137_thumb.j

I laid my strips horizontally in the simple wood frames I built. The intention was to illuminate the windows which it does very well without people actually seeing the leds themselves...they are very, very bright...actually too bright. There was no need to run them vertically, pointing out to the street.

• 1 month later...

I zip tied my RGB strips to 1/2 in pvc pipe and snapped them in to pvc clips mounted on my window frames. The strips are tougher then they look and when I had to go around the corner I just put a simple bend with a small arch in the strip around the corner and it works perfectly.

Here are what mine looks like.

attachicon.gifWindow.jpg

Glad I saw this.  Switching from LED strings to RGB strips this year around my windows and am relieved there is an alternative to cutting and soldering at all of the corners. Very Nice! thanks for the idea and photo.  Any recommendations as to the better and least expensive RGB 5050 strips?  Jimbo

• The topic was locked