Light-O-Rama Forums

Spiral tree channels and colors

LORi P

I use 8 strands red & green tied together for my support wires and 20  White for my spirals the tree is 15 tall and the base is 7 ft and the spacing is is approx 3.5"  between the spirals

My mega trees are 32 strings each but I couldn't afford the extra channels/controllers to make multiple colors so I went with "multi" color strings instead and they look rather nice. I did use good quality strings on them, so we're talking $800 of lights alone and two controllers plus to save on two more controllers for the other tree, I connected them together via SPT1 extensions, but reversed, so they are backwards of each other....they dance!

I use 16 channels on mine, and I've sequenced spiral trees that look good with as few as 12 channels.

I use blue M5/6 LEDs and it's easily the most vivid element in my display.

IMO you don't need multiple colors. The WOW factor is the spiraling itself and it probably doesn't make any difference what color you use.

• Like 1

i second what george said mine being 9' tall and 16ch all red c6's but i will say that im not overly impressed with my red leds all of my lights came from HLE but the red just doesn't seem nearly as vibrant and in your face as blue and green, but to some that its a good thing?? i may add a few colors to mine for next year but i havent decided yet

50ct c6 from HLE on each channel next year both trees will be 3 colors

Do all 16 channels run/spiral in the same direction then, or do 8 go one way and 8 the other?

I'm looking to build one for next years display so I want to buy the lights from HLE at the after season sale. 

I've also read of people "doubling" up the lights for each channel/string... so use a 100count string doubled back on itself for twice the lights... does that give a better effect or is the single-strand enough?

Thanks. 

My tree has all 16 in the same direction. I tried it going both directions and couldn't discern enough visual difference to make it worth the extra work. For me, there's enough variety spinning the tree either clockwise or counterclockwise. YMMV.

I used 2 50-ct strings offset and zip tied together for each strand of the spiral. Much better coverage.

Edited by George Simmons

I use 24 strings of multicolor LEDs.  Each string has 70 LEDs and is 24 feet long.  I use 3 strands per channel.  The height is 19 feet, base has a diameter of 7 feet. The strand of lights wraps around the tree nicely without any excess on the bottom.

My tree has all 16 in the same direction. I tried it going both directions and couldn't discern enough visual difference to make it worth the extra work. For me, there's enough variety spinning the tree either clockwise or counterclockwise. YMMV.

I used 2 50-ct strings offset and zip tied together for each strand of the spiral. Much better coverage.

Thanks George... and what dimensions are your tree (height and bottom diameter)? I'm want it to be big but I want to make sure I have enough lights to wrap at least 1.5 times around. 

Mine is 10' tall and 5' diameter base.  I use a 12' treated 4x4 sunk 2' into the ground for the center pole.  No need for any guy wires at all.

The lights wrap around almost two times.

Edited by George Simmons

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to order for next year... one more question... do 5mm of m6 lights work/look better?  Will the 5mm be visible from a distance?

I use M6 ...........I think since there is more bulb visible than 5mm and it gives a fuller look. probably nothing more that personal preference. I think takeing your time to wrap the spirals effects the look you get, the more consistent the better the look. 

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to know it's not just the C6 lights that grab onto everything. Love the lights but, man they are like velcro. If I go rock climbing i'll use those next time!

LOL..

I do have a question though. When building these, do you build the tree and then add the lights as you see fit or do you buy the lights and make the tree to fit. I was thinking about building some small ones but, I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the light usage around the tree. I was going to buy some lights that are on sale here locally for $4 / strand but the strands are only 12 feet long. So I don't think I could build a very high Tree with that, Though I was thinking of maybe a 4-5 foot Spiral tree with those lights.

Thoughts?

Evan

I have a MS Excel Spiral Calculator file that works really nice. It came from someone here in the forums. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you

I have a 7' Spiral Tree I made out of PVC. I have 8 strands of 4 individual color 100 count lights all running in the same direction. (that's LED 1600 lights and a total of 32 channels)

I am planning on adding 8 more 4 color strands for a Vertical effect.