Light-O-Rama Forums

Running MP3's without lights but over FM

txstgeorge

We flat have run out of time to get the light show going for this year :( -- but we'd like to at least offer music as people look at our static displays. We have the FM transmitter, and the MP3's ready to work with the light show -- can and how do we use them without the lights??

Thanks!

Can I run just "normal" MP3's, or do I have to make them work with the controller?

I'm wanting to totally bypass the controller -- just hook the transmitter to my computer and run the songs... is this possible???

M

I would like to find a player that can be scheduled so I can have Music all day and LOR show all night.

• 2 weeks later...

basis21b wrote:

That is a great list of options above. There are tons of choices available that you can "Google" for them. I saw one post where a person said they couldn't find anything and started programming his own. Clearly, no search was performed before starting that project.

Also to comment, this is an area where you DON'T get what you pay for. I'm seen several programs for sale ranging from $20 to $50, and none of them are as powerful as a couple of free ones.

I could not help but notice that the one I use is on the list... "ZARA Radio" For me, it was a slam dunk choice to go with it. That software is very powerful and easy to use. And best of all, it is FREE ! Actually, I use it all year long to transmit different sets of mp3, weather, time, and internet feeds throughout my property so I can hear it on various FM radios.

I use ZaraRadio. I can schedule pauses for my show to run, schedule commercials, 5 min warnings, 1 minute warnings, etc. It will even say the time and temperature over the air if you fiddle with it enought.

Used it for two years now.

DavBro

You can use I-tunes (free). Import your library into I-tunes, select all the songs you want to play and press start. It may or may not loop, I do not remember. If your library is like mine, I could play Christmas tunes for 3 solid days without repeating the same song.

I actually make LOR sequences with no channels, and then make a show, and schedule it to run anytime "the show" is not running.

This way LOR runs the whole thing.

pixeldigger wrote:

I actually make LOR sequences with no channels, and then make a show, and schedule it to run anytime "the show" is not running.

This way LOR runs the whole thing.

Yup, another decent option for a "quick and dirty" solution. I did that a couple years ago, but it was too time consuming to do that for all my songs, with no real control over the process once it is started.

I think that once you use any kind of "DJ" software like ZaraRadio or one of the others, you will forget all about LOR for this purpose and ask yourself why did you do it that way in the first place. At least I did.

Let LOR do what is does best, and leave the non-show activities to much more powerful software that you can get for free or very little money.