Light-O-Rama Forums

And then there's this ...

George Simmons

Some may have read my complaining over the problems I've had getting things running right this year.  Then, a few minutes ago I get this email, and it kind of snaps my head back on straight.

Dear George,

THANK YOU again for the awesome light and music display!!!

I visited with you briefly on Friday evening when there was a little trouble with some of the lights. You said to come back. You said you’d be working on the lights on Saturday and try to get them all working. (What was working on Friday was still awesome!) I told you how I wait for this and anticipate it already starting in July. I said we’d be back on Sunday evening with more family / friends.

Well, this evening we came back! I was in the back of the van when my friend went out to put our donation in the box, and she got to talk to you. There were seven of us that came out from St. Cloud / Sartell to enjoy the lights and music. If you total our ages we have over 480 years — and yet we still felt like little children as we oooh-ed and aaah-ed over all the colorful lights and how they went with notes at the split of a second. It is truly AWESOME!

Thank you, George!!!

Sue

• Like 4

That right there is why I do this.  I had an elderly woman knock on my door tonight in awe of my lights.  My wife and I talked to her for 15 minutes probably.  We are our own worst critic....  Hundreds if not thousands of hours of work are justified with one knock at the door for me, or an email like you got.  That's what I love about this.  It doesn't matter if you're 8 or 80.  People love it!  I have countless things that drive me crazy in display.  Nobody notices it but me.

It's my first year and already on the third day people coming back from thanksgiving trips the lady across the street told me her son said it was like a chfistmas miracle. And she said shes never seen anything like this knowledge the subdivision. It's ojrfirst hear in this subdivision. Then I got a Scrooge who apparently puts Up a decent static display yearly and he came by a little upset he was "outdone" this year. Oh well

• Like 1

Cool George. Yes, this is one of the many reasons we do what we do.

This year, again, the two little girls across the street were "Wow" and "Cool" and "Awesome". I was just running a few tests on Thursday before going live Friday. The years' work, was already worth it.

Oh, and George, half of your display could have been out and it still would have been a fantastic show. As always, great job.

That's a great story George.

Sure helps justify what we do and explains why we do it. To spread the joy to others.

That's a great story George.

Sure helps justify what we do and explains why we do it. To spread the joy to others.

I second this 200 %. Thanks George.

• Like 1

George that is a awesome message you got. 

last night at 5:15 the neighbor who lives behind be sent me a text stating "your show is not working" I was at work and I panicked. after looking at my watch I text him back telling him 5:30 is the start time. His next text said "the boss and kids need there fix early today I was worried your show was down." He has asked me many times jokingly if I could have the display on the back of the house too. I know he is not joking because his wife and 3 kids ask me that often. they might get their wish next year because I have run out of room in front.  :P

uncledan, you said it.  Whether 8 or 80 everyone loves a good Christmas light display. Then add a little music and it's on.

• Like 1

Same here. Although I have run an animation only show on a pixel tree for 2 years, this is the first year running a musical show. Opened Friday evening. Sunday evening I got an E-Mail from someone down the street that I did not know. They said that they loved the show. Talked to a couple cars both Saturday and Sunday evening. Everyone loved it.

I agree about being your own worst critic...

• Like 1

I know that at least Three of the other animated displays in my town were because of me. 

I can remember spending at least two to three hours with each person walking over the display and showing them the computer program and how it works.  (Though I'm not their wives best friend....lol)  I know that when I get a knock on my door while the show is running that I'm in for a couple hour visit, wife just accepts it now.  "Grab your jacket!"

It's my first year and already on the third day people coming back from thanksgiving trips the lady across the street told me her son said it was like a chfistmas miracle. And she said shes never seen anything like this knowledge the subdivision. It's ojrfirst hear in this subdivision. Then I got a Scrooge who apparently puts Up a decent static display yearly and he came by a little upset he was "outdone" this year. Oh well

i had that back east, a gentleman that had always had an animated display (but was top secret about what he used) and couldn't believe I had the nerve to do one.  it only got worse from there.

• The topic was locked