Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence programming with Surface 3?

Max-Paul

Any of you brave souls with deep pockets tried one of those Surface 3 tablets to do your sequence programming? If so, how is the audio level out to your ear buds. I have about 50db hearing loss in the mid range. My Iphone is more that loud enough. I actually cant listen above 2 steps down from max. I have one laptop that the audio is good, but another that is only about 50% and sounds like a speaker in a box at full volume. I think that a surface would good for fast boot up and portable enough to use it on the go.

Thanks for any feedback.

I used my surface pro 2 to do some sequencing while away this year. Did a real good job. The thing is a beast. Boots up super fast.

If you had a good pair of hearing aids, the amplifier in a device would always be okay.

If you had a GREAT pair of aids (and also a current Apple device) you'd have wireless streaming directly TO the hearing aids.

Just saying ...

If you had a good pair of hearing aids, the amplifier in a device would always be okay.

If you had a GREAT pair of aids (and also a current Apple device) you'd have wireless streaming directly TO the hearing aids.

Just saying ...

Well George it appears you do not wear hearing aids. Cause if you did you would realize that when you need about 40db of amplification. You need to wear behind the ear aids. And while buds sit over the canal and the mic is behind the ear or actually above the ear. And I just could not bring myself to part with >$3000 bucks each, and I wear two units.

And why are you busting my chops? And like I said my Iphone has great audio. But hey Apple products and S3 dont play together. So much for apple products, hey? But nice pipe dream to wirelessly stream to the actual hearing aids.

• Like 2

how about just adding some simple amplified speakers to your set up, either wired if the Surface 3 is set up for that or wireless speakers? or even wired/wireless headphones? Would any of these help?

Uh, Max - I dispense hearing aids for a living and I routinely fit people with ones that do just as I said. 

And I'm busting your chops because that's what I've done for so many years now.

Just so you know, you could drive up here, I could fit you with a pair of excellent little behind-the-ear models (or in-the-ear if you'd prefer) then you could take me to the biggest steak dinner around to show your thanks, then drive back home and with the money you saved compared to that price you quoted, you could take your lovely missus for a cruise.  Or send her by herself, whichever you prefer ...

Just saying ...

• Like 1

how about just adding some simple amplified speakers to your set up, either wired if the Surface 3 is set up for that or wireless speakers? or even wired/wireless headphones? Would any of these help?

Thanks Premier,

But part of the purpose was to go portable. Amplified speakers would kind of nullify the purpose of the surface. But thanks for the suggestion. Also I like to sit in my easy chair and would want to not interrupt my wife while she watches the TV.

George, ya I know. Just busting yours for busting mine.

Seriously in the canal with 30 to 40db gain? From what I remember only way you can get that much amplification is separating the mic and I think you all call the receiver (speaker). BTW what brands? I am wearing a Phonak Audeo with RIE. 

OK Premier missed the last half of your post. I suppose then I would need to ask someone about those wireless headphones and the audio level out of them. Interesting...

I use wireless audio headphones will watching TV since I am hard of hearing and my wife isn't. There a lot of decent sets out there just be careful as some are "line of sight", meaning that if you turn or sometimes tilt your head, or go to leave the room the audio feed from the transmitter is broken from the receiver ( headphones ) good units are generally around 100 bucks plus. If this S3 can do bluetooth, then yo could get a real nice set up for under 50 easily.

I used my surface pro 2 to do some sequencing while away this year. Did a real good job. The thing is a beast. Boots up super fast.

Are you running RT? I see there is a driver for the 485 for RT but wasn't sure I could add any of the LOR programs onto my Surface.

No, this is the Pro version. The RT would not run LOR software.

As far as sound goes. It has a pretty good amplifier. Most of the time I am using head phones with it due to the environment I am usually in when using it. Planes, airports, things of that nature.

If you guys do not mind, let me get this straight. You guys who have Surface Pro 3 are able to use LOR S3 software on that tablet? Even though its touch screen you are able to further your work sequencing?

• 3 months later...

No. That runs Android. The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 runs Windows. 

The Surface is really useful. It is great for testing lights for me because my show PC is a desktop and there isn't enough space where it is to connect up lights.

The pen and keyboard are enough for sequencing, and for just playing and making small changes, the touchscreen is easily usable. I wouldn't recommend it as a show computer, because of its shape, size and portability, but it could easily be one in terms of spec.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

What would be the minimum memory model would you recommend? Might not be something I can run right out and buy, but sure sounds like something I would find useful.

4GB is more than enough. I have the 8GB, only because I run some other programs that need it.

The Hard Disk or Solid State Drives are both good. I only have 64GB but for £20 you can add another 64GB by putting in a MicroSD.

I use Google Drive for lots of LOR stuff. I can save a sequence, and within 30 seconds it is updated on the main PC and I can walk over to it and carry on where i was on the Surface.

As a backup, I copy my Google Drive sequence folder onto the Microsoft OneDrive space that came with the Surface, but I have never had a problem with Google Drive since the beginning.

It's a really good device. I recommend it to everybody.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is still reading this...

I would get the 8GB model.  The OS installed is a 64-bit version on all levels, so I wouldn't recommend the 64GB or 128GB versions with only 4 GB of RAM.  An i5 is a great processor and it works wonderfully.  I bought one for my wife and she loves it. We have a Bluetooth mouse we use with it and you can always get yourself a pair of Bluetooth speakers if you need more volume.  You can use Miracast to watch on a larger display or your TV if your eyesight is bad too :)

We also have 64GB in the microSD card slot for storing things on.  Love the device actually.

• 7 months later...

I use a SurfacePro3 for all my LOR stuff.  While I sprung for a 128GB, I alsochave a 64GB microSD.  

I use the pen and keyboard shortcuts and it crushes through sequences easily.  Once you get use to it its great.   LOR software works great.  I'm windows 10 too.

I do sequence when the rest of the family doesn't want to hear my work and use a pair of beats earbud headphones.   I also use this as my show computer and also use the miracast adapter for looking at large sequences on a big screen (i use 6 tracks - 48 channels plus 128 DMX channels).

Can't speak much to the audio.  It works for me.