Light-O-Rama Forums

Voice Overs - What Do You Do?

levelbest

Hey All:

Got the shows running great - life is good and the premiere is tonite.

Just wondering what you all do voice over wise. What do you announce, how do you announce it, when etc?

For example, prior to the show running, do you have some sort of fanfare, do you countdown to the next show etc? When a show ends, do you announce it's over?

I worked in broadcasting (radio) on air for more than 10 years and was thinking of recording some standard (non display specific stuff) that the community as a whole could use, and popping it up on my website.

So, thoughts, scripts, ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated :)

JOHN

I have 9 various "bumpers" that welcome people to the show, refer them to our website for more information, etc. This year I'm using Christmas movie/show clips as the theme for the bumpers-- Rudolph, Frosty, Polar express, and others. Here's a sample of one of ours from Christmas Vacation:

http://www.plymouthlights.com/multimedia/vacationbumper.mp3

-Tim

Tim:

THAT.......IS......AWESOME!!!!

I just did a simple mp3 using sound recorder and a microphone. I have mixing software and NEVER thought to do something like this.

That is really cool..............GREAT JOB!

Neil

Sorry, I was so amazed at Tim's intro that I forgot the question.

My intro welcomes them and gives the website address. It also reminds them of the following safety/courtesy items:

1. Dim head lights, leave parking lights on
  2. WATCH FOR KIDS
  3. don't block the road or driveways
  4. keep out of the yard
  5. keep the music down
  6. reminds them of the donation box (charity not electric bill...lol)

If you are collecting donation for charity, I programmed the intro to make the donation box flash on and off when I talk about it.

Hope that helps.

Tim:

Do you mind if I steal your idea and use some clips. Not then ones you did, but some others. My mind is already turning.

Steal away, they're not my clips :D

As you probably could tell, mine's not a "show intro" but a "bumper", something that plays between every song (I have 9 of them). I don't have a definite "start show" and "end of show" other than the beginning and ending of the evening -- people can come and go as they choose and catch as much of the looping show as they like.

-Tim

John,

That would be great! This is my first LOR year, I have 4 songs running back to back, no announcements, bumpers, etc. between the songs for 3 hours. I would love to have some generic "stuff" to plug in to make it a bit more radio-station like.

Me, 2 years in radio, got out while I could , now do television engineering (for more years than I care to admit). I could probably muster up some old writing skills and come up with some copy...

Thanks,
Ron

Ron Schultz wrote:

John,

That would be great! This is my first LOR year, I have 4 songs running back to back, no announcements, bumpers, etc. between the songs for 3 hours. I would love to have some generic "stuff" to plug in to make it a bit more radio-station like.

Me, 2 years in radio, got out while I could , now do television engineering (for more years than I care to admit). I could probably muster up some old writing skills and come up with some copy...

Thanks,
Ron

Heh - I stuck it out for ten though the last few were weekend and swing work - just to stay in it. Finally, I didn't have enough time. Transitioned to Information Technology and now am making 5x what I made in radio - not that it was that hard the way radio paid!

If you write it, I'll record it. Got a nice setup here at home with a professional mic and adobe audition in my office - so I'm ready to roll.

I know what you mean as it's my first year with LOR as well - so it was all I could do to get the electrician in here for the new sub panel, buy all the wire, figure out how and where the cords would go and get the sequences going. But now, that's all done and I can focus on polishing the production/show!

Thanks, John - I'll pm you some generic copy in the next couple days - it is really appreciated!

It will be nice to put a little polish on the stuff I threw together this year - I didn't start getting anything together (other than the WalMart purchase 12/26 last year) until October - thank goodness for lorsequences.com!

Only 16 channels this year - really just a basic display. I have to say, the LOR hardware is great - works perfectly, great support (thanks Dan!), with a little technical knowledge, (and reading the docs), you can be up an running pretty quickly.

I am lucky - my main sub-panel is in the garage, so I could add a couple 20 amp GFCI circuits easily under that. The garage has front facing windows, so a couple extention cords and cat5 out the window (and a lot of SPT2, in-line splices, and choice ebay extention cord purchases), a computer in the garage running LOR software, and I was up and running the weekend after Thanksgiving with 2 songs.

Since then, tinkering around I have added a couple more songs. Now that it has been running for a while, I can see (and hear) it really needs a bit more polish as far as the audio portion of the show goes - so THANKS!

And yes, there was a reason I was in radio only 2 years ,
--Ron

Looking forward to giving back - the folks at PC and here at LOR are fantastic. I've been reading for 2 years now and never fail to get a new idea or a question answered every time I visit!

Agreed, regarding PC and here - I have been "lurking" for a year, gathering knowledge.

Without these two sites, I would have been NEVER able to pull off what I did (such as it is) this year.

I am looking forward to giving back what I can - I certainly owe it!

--Ron

scottsgrfx wrote:

I have that but cannot figure out how to do a voice over music, or mix it without hearing the breaks in it.

To do the voice over music in Audacity, just load you music file, click the record button (button with the red round dot) and speak into the microphone. Click the stop button (yellow square) when done recording. Now you can adjust the volumes of the respective tracks to your liking. If I can figure it out, anyone can.

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

scottsgrfx wrote:
I have that but cannot figure out how to do a voice over music, or mix it without hearing the breaks in it.

To do the voice over music in Audacity, just load you music file, click the record button (button with the red round dot) and speak into the microphone. Click the stop button (yellow square) when done recording. Now you can adjust the volumes of the respective tracks to your liking. If I can figure it out, anyone can.

D.T.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Scott

Is anyone familiar with configuring a mic with windows vista?

It tokk me forever just to get it to record a sound and it sounds like I am talking over a walkie talkie.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Neil

nmonkman wrote:

Is anyone familiar with configuring a mic with windows vista?

It tokk me forever just to get it to record a sound and it sounds like I am talking over a walkie talkie.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Neil

Hey Neil:

I can sympathise - they didn't make mic setup in vista easy. Took me a while too to figure it out. Just wondering if you are using a stereo mic? Thinking a mono mic in a stereo plug might produce that kind of sound. Did you have it working previously under XP or another device to make sure the mic is working correctly?

John

My daughter used to be a DJ for local radio station. She did my recordings. I have an opening welcoming people to the show, how long it last, how many songs, controlled by Light O Rama Controllers, if you like the show you can donate to local charity, and where the donation box is. Each song is preceeded by an announcement of the song and who sings it. At the end we thank them for coming and to remember the reason for the season is birth of Jesus Christ, and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Then it starts all over again.

James

I bought it Radio Shack for 10 bucks, It doesnt say if its stereo or not, but I suspect its not

Oh well! Live and Learn, right?