Light-O-Rama Forums

Need Quick help - daisychain problem

jgordon

I'm connecting 8 controllers -- all gen 3 -- but when I try to connect the last one, the second to last one goes from a solid green status LED to blinking, just as soon as I plug in the cable.  Any thoughts?

Yes, you may have a cross over cable and don't know it.. or just a bad cable.  You may also have a bad comm chip on either one of those two..

As I have also mentioned along with a few others. Even though the signal is not of radio wave frequencies. You can still have a tuned circuit or a detuned circuit. Having termination resistor at the last controller in the unused RJ-45 socket. The resistor is 110 ohms. Plasma's suggest hold merit but then too so does the termination resistor.

I am having a similar issue........the first 2 controllers in the daisy chain work just fine. The third one just kept blinking and nothing there after worked. I then rewired some stuff and went directly from the 2nd controller to the 4th controller and then everything was ok. Am I just to assume I have a bad controller?

I am not sure but I think LOR controllers have terminating resistors on every controller.... but not sure. 

Look at bad comm chip as possible issue.. I just had one of those and that was the symptoms I was having..

Thanks - it's driving me nuts!  I finally got the hardware utility to recognize all 8 controllers ... for about 3 minutes. I've replaced cables, tried a different "route" from one controller to the next.  I'll get a solid green LED one minute, then it begins to blink, taking down all controllers after it.  It's not one controller either - there seem to be several that are sporadic. 

Having put in 100 hours of work this summer, I hate to think that it might all be for naught this Christmas.

I can connect directly to each controller as well - no problems there.  It's somewhere in the cat5 networking.  Hmmmmpff.

Thanks - it's driving me nuts!  I finally got the hardware utility to recognize all 8 controllers ... for about 3 minutes. I've replaced cables, tried a different "route" from one controller to the next.  I'll get a solid green LED one minute, then it begins to blink, taking down all controllers after it.  It's not one controller either - there seem to be several that are sporadic. 

Having put in 100 hours of work this summer, I hate to think that it might all be for naught this Christmas.

I can connect directly to each controller as well - no problems there.  It's somewhere in the cat5 networking.  Hmmmmpff.

Lots of it could be particulates on the pins in the RJ45 connectors.  After I found the bad comm chip I cleaned several of my connectors with contact cleaner and a bit of abrasion.. (not much abrasion, that there is gold.. really)..  all comm issues are gone for me.... *fingers and toes crossed*

I have cleaned all the networks and tested them out for this years show. My cat 5 did have a drain wire that I placed inside the connector in all my underground cable. We made a few at work and tried to connect them to the network and they would not connect. We cut the drain wire out and they connected every time. With all my cat 5 cables this year I open the outer jacket and removed the drain wire. I can say I have the best network I have ever had since doing this. I have 21 pc16 controllers running on this network without a glitch for once. Each rj45 received a shot of chock cleaner and then a shot of Corrosion X even on the 12 pixel controller card.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked