Jump to content

Interactive Display


Mark Steele
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is the interactive display feature still planned for the full release of LOR II? I saw it mentioned a few months ago, but not since. Will it use DIO board's for multiple inputs? I was just curious as the jukebox concept is very intriguing.

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LightORamaDan

Mark Steele wrote:

Is the interactive display feature still planned for the full release of LOR II? I saw it mentioned a few months ago, but not since. Will it use DIO board's for multiple inputs? I was just curious as the jukebox concept is very intriguing.

Mark


The inputs will be via LOR controllers/input cards strung out on the 485 network. I had to give up on this to get the software out now. It is mosly finished, just needs one more module and lots of testing.

Dan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LightORamaDan wrote:


The inputs will be via LOR controllers/input cards strung out on the 485 network. I had to give up on this to get the software out now. It is mosly finished, just needs one more module and lots of testing.

Dan




Thanks for the reply Dan. What to you mean by the term 'input cards'? I know the 1602W and CTB16PC only have 1 input pin available. Will this be the limiting factor on the quantity of triggers avaialble for a show? I would like to build an outdoor kiosk with 10-12 buttons for show choices. I was hoping there would be a way to utilize a DIO card to add additional inputs although I relaize currently they are only use for output purposes. Since I currently only have five controllers, will there be any way to add additional triggers without adding controllers?

Mark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest wbottomley

The input pins are not associated with the data inputs. There's a set of pins located next to the LED light on the controller board. They will be utilized for interactive triggers.

Dan, correct me if I'm wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe I have read that LOR plans to come out with an input module that attaches to a motherboard type arrangement. Heck, it may have been at PLUS that I saw something about this.

There has been no reason for them to release that hardware until they have the support in the software.

Chuck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mountainwxman wrote:

The input pins are not associated with the data inputs. There's a set of pins located next to the LED light on the controller board. They will be utilized for interactive triggers.

Dan, correct me if I'm wrong.


Are you refereing to the J0 header? This only has a single input pin that I can see. However perhaps some of the other pins will be utilized. I realize this discussion is premature since this feature won't be available until next year. But one can never start to plan too early in this hobby.

pinout.JPG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LightORamaDan

Most existing LOR controllers will have at least one input that can be used with the new interactive show. In addition there will be an input card for those that need Lots of inputs....

I always wanted to build an interactive display for kids (of all ages)... Push this button the tree spins left, push this button it spins right, this button all read lights... This button to play a non-Siberian classic Christmas song:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the clarification Dan. The input card will definitely be useful for my future applications.

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would love to do an interactive display and am looking forward to LOR adding this support. One thought I had was to allow people to control my display using thier cell phone.

What do you get when you combine the largest student dorm in Finland, a cellphone, love of Tetris?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about a webbased interactive element. While LoR is runninga show, users can access a website within the LoR software and queue up requests from the show list to be played next. If there is nothinging in interactive queue, it just plays from the default show list. Like jukebox. With so many folks with web enabled phones, I could see this as a bit hit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

msbreton wrote:

How about a webbased interactive element. While LoR is runninga show, users can access a website within the LoR software and queue up requests from the show list to be played next. If there is nothinging in interactive queue, it just plays from the default show list. Like jukebox. With so many folks with web enabled phones, I could see this as a bit hit.


Yeah, I've been poo-poohing web-control for years, as a "geek toy" rather than a real display element, but with the iPhone and other's popularity, it's almost coming to the point where it could be a real interactive element...

I still dont' think I'd do it, but I could see where others would want to...

-Tim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would use the web feature, maybe just for me but could be cool to control the display from the blackberry or disable the show for bad weather even while traveling.

Harrison

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mountainwxman wrote:

Check this site out: http://www.controltheshow.com/ for web based interactive.


Not sure whose site that is, so I'm not trying to getting personal. Everyone has their thing...

That's a good example of the "geek toy" I was talking about. Having web visitors that can't even see the lights in person randomly select 'switches' is something I consider "technically cool, but visually questionable"...

On the other hand, it would save hours and hours of sequencing time :)

-Tim
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest wbottomley

Tim Fischer wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
Check this site out: http://www.controltheshow.com/ for web based interactive.


Not sure whose site that is, so I'm not trying to getting personal. Everyone has their thing...

That's a good example of the "geek toy" I was talking about. Having web visitors that can't even see the lights in person randomly select 'switches' is something I consider "technically cool, but visually questionable"...

On the other hand, it would save hours and hours of sequencing time ;)

-Tim

Tim... It's located in Winston-Salem, N.C. The best time to hit it is after 6pm.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey everyone,

I was just thinking about this today myself and I don't think it would be to hard. (Famous last words huh) Looks like others had the same idea too. :D

It would be interesting to pull up in a car with a cell phone and be able to select which sequence to play or control the mega tree while a sequence plays. I haven't jumped into LOR II yet but the XML stuff might make this a little easyer as well.

I love the idea about the interactive Kiosk too, that would be great for the kids, they love that hands on stuff.

Hey Mountainwxman, I saw that interview and the guy said he was not usig X10 I was kind of curios as to what he is using, do you know?

Thanks,
Ted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am in the planning stages for a interactive show in '08.
I was planning on using a series of PLC's for the interactive controls, with start/stop buttons and dials for speed control.

I would love to be able to do this with LOR cards instead of a separate control system.

If you need any help in the testing department, let me know!!!!!

Scott

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest wbottomley

tallan wrote:

Hey Mountainwxman, I saw that interview and the guy said he was not usig X10 I was kind of curios as to what he is using, do you know?

Thanks,
Ted




Ted... I think he made something himself.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...