Light-O-Rama Forums

Light error on 27 channel DMX board

RoboticBrad

I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen to them and what to do... I have a few of the 27 channel dumb DMX controllers found here... http://www.holidaycoro.com/27-Channel-DMX-Controller-for-RGB-Lights-12v-DC-p/24.htm and when in demo mode they start off running a pattern. First red on all channels then followed by green, blue, yellow, light blue, violet, and white. After this it then runs the same colors 1 channel at a time then repeats the process. However a few of the controllers are now acting as if there's an error, they now go through the first seven colors and then the LED light on the controller turns off and back on and the it repeats the same 7 colors again skipping the individual channels test. I've done many things to see if I can fix the problem like rewiring or moving to other channels on the board and sometimes it fixes it and sometimes it won't. Does anyone know what this means or have had it happen to them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

-Brad

the only thing I can think of is monitor your input voltage on that board. or swap out the power supply it almost sounds like the power is dropping out

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much, that's exactly what it was. I was using HolidayCoro's 45 watt 3.7 amp waterproof power supply not realizing it wasn't enough power. I bought a 350 watt 29 amp power supply to replace it and BOOM problem solved. I'm not an electrician so I guess I didn't even think along those lines... slowly learning. Thanks!

It would never hurt to have a bigger power supply than what you think you need. In fact it will probably save you money down the road. When you start adding on you won't have to update your power supply. otherwise in a couple years you'll have a box full of power supplies that you spent money on but can't use