Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Strips Layon on Mega Tree

mpageler

For those that use 5m pixel strips on their mega trees, how do you lay out all 12 or 16 strips, in regards to the the pipe/conduit backing?

Sine the 12/16 conduits are differnet lengths (from outer to center of tree), how do place  or start all the strips?

Assuming you want a level bottom and top edge for all your strips. Do you place full strips on the outer conduits and then cut back each strip as you move to the tree's center?

No experience with pixel strips or strings so have no idea what cutting does to the addressing as you sequence.

You didnt say. Are you doing a 2D tree versus a 3D tree? If a 2D tree I would suggest the use of Pixel nodes with wire between each node. With these kind of pixels you can fold over the wire. Pixel strips can only be cut at certain points. Example if you are using strips rated at 12 volts. Most of these have 3 LEDs per sections. And I think all 5v rated strips are single LEDs per sections. Problem is that you cant have different number of pixels per strand. Also you want to keep the pixels all on the same level. What your thinking of doing would cause the line from left to right sag.

Assuming you want a level bottom and top edge for all your strips. Do you place full strips on the outer conduits and then cut back each strip as you move to the tree's center?

You do want a level bottom and the bottom-most 1st pixel should be straight across all strips.  You will not be able to have a level top edge for the strips for the reasons you indicate...not all legs of the tree will be the same length.  See SuperStarLights.com for a good photo of a finished CCR tree.  You'll notice that the middle legs are taller than the side legs, but the bottom is level.  I based my alignment on what I saw in the photos.

And to continue what iflights said, having the center strings or strips higher at top works well with a star on top.

All 12 strips are the same length it just depends how you position them on the ground Brian's tree ( superstar lights )the bottom of the strips are not in a straight line but more in arc

I was thinking about a 2D tree.

So with equal strips, you're going to have a bowing light effect throught the tree.  I suppose it depends on your superstar sequencing
choices/settings.  Straight line horizantal effects would have either an upward or downward bow to them.

Thanks
Mike

• 7 months later...

I'm building a 2D mega tree this year with pixel strips. I'm curious about the spacing at the bottom for my 12 strips. Each strip is 16.5 feet. What spacing would give me a good "tree" shape? I'm afraid if I set this up on the ground, and stand at one end, it will look much different standing up. I guess I could get on the roof and look down at it... LOL