Light-O-Rama Forums

10W floods rusting

Jim Hans

I wanted to give a heads up to those that may not have put out their 10W floods yet. It appears the 4 screws holding the lens on the flood head are not designed to get wet!  My floods have been out for 3 weeks now and all the screws are covered in rust.  Obviously this will lead to problems down the road and I will work to remedy it in the off season.  If you haven't put yours out or if you have and they haven't started rusting yet, you may want to coat the screws with something.  A bit of a design flaw on LOR's part as I'm sure they knew they would get wet.  :(

Yup! Got 8 of them up and all the screws are rusting! They are still working great, but will have to figure something out after the season.

I had to re-tap a couple of mine. When I started setting them up for Halloween, a couple out of 8 floods were cross-threaded. I'll have to look when I get home and see what size it was. I believe it was 1/4", but don't hold me to it. Mine's rusting too.

I am in the same boat, bolts didn't make it past two weeks without rusting  since I am on the coast, I will definately buying stainless steel bolts/lockwasher/washers for all mine and those I plan to buy this next year.

I bought 40 of these. Same thing.. Been up for 2 months and looks like they've been up for 2 years. Definitely have to replace all screws, bolts, washers etc with stainless steel next year. My CF50d's have been up same amount of time and still look new. CF50's seem to be very well constructed

Thanks for the heads up guys. I was way behind schedule so mine haven't been out as long. I know what to expect in the coming weeks.

Mine are rusting also, although it seems like we're through with rain for this season, so they shouldn't get any worse this year.  I love the lights, though.

If i am putting mine out tomorrow, what would you recommend putting on the screws before I get the floods outside?  Lots of rain and snow here outside of Chicago I am sure in the coming weeks

• 1 month later...

We just received a trouble ticket on thread from the OP... We will be ordering some screws and will send them out to anyone who needs them. 

The floods when tested had stainless steel screws and did not have this issue. We are trying to determine if one batch was bad or exactly what is going on here. In any case I doubt that the rusting will be an issue as the screws do not need to be removed and trying to replace them may lead to more problems than the way things are now. But that is not what we expected, it should not happen, probably looks crappy and not what happened when we certified the floods.  In any case anyone who wants some replacements (which we do not have yet, will be a few weeks, lets say Feb 1) should open a ticket on our help desk after Feb 1. 

Dan

Dan,

Will these be available for purchase for the folks that have the 10w floods but didn't purchase from LOR?

Using LOR controllers maybe we can get a discount? :)

Military discount? :)

LOR since 2005 discount? :)

Thanks,

Tom

Noticed the mounting bracket screws were rusting on mine from a brief Halloween testing phase, had not seen the lens screws rusting yet, but will put in a ticket in February as I bought SS for the mounting to my hardware to not have rusting.

On the screw size - all of mine are using metric screws (non LOR), mostly M4 for the lens and M3 for the back...

• 4 weeks later...

If you were one of the unlucky souls to purchase a flood from us from the bad batch, we now have screws in stock.  Please open a trouble ticket and we will start the process of sending you replacement screws if you want them. 

• The topic was locked