Light-O-Rama Forums

Hanging CCR's on the Roof

scuubydoo3

Hey guys....

So I'm ready to hang my CCR's on the roof for the very first time. I noticed that from the CCR to the plug is only about 6'.

Can some people chime in and give me some suggestions on how to place, hang, or put the weather proof controller box that each CCR has? I have 16 CCR's that are lining my roof and I gotta put each one somewhere.

This is my last dilemma before I'm up and running..... HELP!!!

post-7088-0-42943200-1416977183_thumb.jp

You can probably mount the controllers right under the eaves where your soffits are. Lots of space there it looks like. Great house for decorating. I love the defined sections.

when you say mount it under the eaves where the soffits are. You actually saying drill, screw and mount it under there, correct? Each controller and power supply are in a weather proof box. I didn't think I could be drilling holes into it.

You appear to lack imagination. How about a strap. One that is shaped like a "U" with handles. Drill holes in the handles and place the controller into the "U" portion. Now your water proof box is still waterproof.

My imagination is probably lacking. I'm getting pretty overwhelmed with the amount of lights I have. I probably should've started out small (medium) and gradually worked up to this point.

I can see your idea with the straps. I'm still trying to locate a ladder long enough to get up there so I can take a look at what I have. I posted on here to see if any of the Christmas veterans had any experienced opinions, lol.

That's a good idea though... thanks

I drilled mine right through the waterproof box. Put it under the eaves as far up as possible. Rain won't get in if you tighten the screws and place it far enough up.

I have my cg 1500s with dmx and LOR DC controllers against the fence the same way. If you have a tight fitting the water will not get in. Not too tight, now. Then you will have stripped screws or splintered wood that will create a loose connection.

I do put anchors in my walls...the self contained ones that will not leak into the house. Then I use caulk to seal the anchors. You may not want to do this to your house, me...I like the convenience of install. And the anchors are not that noticeable.

Looks to me like you can stand on your lower roof to get to the eaves of the upper roof. That's how I do it. That and I have the biggest little giant ladder sold. Bought it 15 years ago and although it is a heavy beast I always feel safe on it. The ladder sucks to buy but you will use it forever. So get a good one...even if it's not a little giant.

Sax, I used to climb 200' radio tower while not being tied-off till I got to where I was going on the tower (most of time to the top). But putting a ladder on a short lower roof is just plain crazy in my book. Full length ladder to the ground and back up to the upper eves for me, thank you. You sir got more nuts or guts than me.

No. I never said to put a ladder on the roof. No no no. I said reach the eaves from the roof. I meant without a ladder. Use a Ladder from the ground only. Never put a ladder on the roof.

Looks to me like he can stand on his roof and get under the eaves. That is what I do. That is what I meant. Stand on the roof.

Man, I didn't mean for it to sound like I put a ladder on the roof or suggest anyone do that. If anyone took it as to put a ladder on the roof, sorry. That is not what I meant. I use the tallest ladder from big ladder to reach the roof from the ground only. If you ever have tried to lift that type of ladder you would see that it is next to impossible to get on the roof because it is so heavy. So if I need to get to spots on front of the roof, under the eaves or to get on the roof it is used from the ground.

Again, never ever put a ladder on a roof. Especially here in the northwest where our roofs are mossy and slippery. I would never do that or suggest it anyway.

I re-read my original post and it doesn't sound like I said to use the ladder on the roof.

Anyway, the original poster said he was trying to locate a ladder tall enough to reach. I was trying to suggest to get a good ladder now as one will be needed. I use the little giant ladder and was giving a suggestion to look at those ladders.

hey guys.. I don't think I would dismiss the idea of putting a ladder on the lower roof if someone was holding it. The eaves are to high for me to reach from the lower roof. In fact, the top of the middle window is six feet above the lower roof alone. I'm guessing to reach the eaves or the circular vent in the middle, I would need a 20ft ladder to reach from the ground.

Still working the issue. I know I could put a small 6footer or something on top of the roof on the left and that would get me to the top but I still wouldn't be able to get under and reach the eaves from there. I'm pretty daring but not hanging/reaching that far from the top.

Thanks sax for the ideas. I'm looking for ladders now and will check into the little giant ladders. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Thanks Sax.... I splurged and got the little giant xtreme 26 ..... I'm sure it'll reach. I just wish it gave me an option to have it overnighted. Now I have to wait for it to arrive!!! UGH

Edited by scuubydoo3

Max, no worries. I thought I might of made it sound like I use my ladder on the roof but after reading it I didn't. But I easily could of. Typing in a quick post and I can see how I can get careless with my words.

Safety, especially ladder safety, is something everyone who is in this hobby needs to focus on. Electricity, heavy objects and ladders are all dangers and if any post endangers people it does need to be pointed out.

• 1 month later...

My layout required a ladder on a lower roof.  i have a lower gable 10' in front of a higher gable so an extension ladder to the ground was out of the question.  Even a bucket lift wouldn't have worked.  I ended up buying a light weight 16' extension ladder, replaced the fixed feet with adjustable rubber padded ladder legs and added a stabilizer at the top.  Granted it might not be practical for other than asphalt shingles but it works great on my setup.  The adjustable rubber padded ladder legs may be the best ladder add on ever invented.