Light-O-Rama Forums

Computer unable to read controllers

Bcspy

Forth year using LOR setup.  All lights are up.  This year, computer unable to read the controllers.  I check the help site and install the driver.  Still the red lights is blinking and not steady. Computer on comm 3. When refresh and unable to read.  Computer keep saying check controller power.  Do you think it might be the USB485B is bad and need to be replaced? 

Consider the Cat5/6 from the computer to the USB adapter and then the cable from it to the first controller. Also, swap the cat5/6 cable to the first controller to the other port on the controller and see if it starts communicating. If so, look closely at the pins of the RJ45 connector, inside of the controller(s) and see if they are pushed in and not coming back to their normal positions.

When you say you installed the driver... did you use the one from the LOR website?  Don't let windows update install one for you!  Go to the LOR website, Support, Firmware.. and on the bottom install the RS-485 driver.

Try plugging the RS-485 into a different USB jack.

Change out the cat 5 cable.

Reset the controller... reboot your computer... make sure the little light bulb is red and not waiting to run a show (green).  These are all things that I would try first.  of course, the RS-485 could be bad too.  Order a new one today (cheap enough and worth having a spare).

Two hours later and now working.  Very stressful. Friday is coming around the corner.  I ordered another USB485B and the G3- MP3 just in case for backup. Thanks again.

Edited by Bcspy

• The topic was locked