Light-O-Rama Forums

what the f am i doing wrong !?!

portcity_gt

That looks like me first year. I tape or zip tie the male end of all the strings to the ring at the bottom. I typically use new lights on it every year. I found it much easier to space lights accordingly on bottom ring and zip tie with equal distance between light strings. My 100 ct strings generally have 2 sets of 50 lights that are individually tied together. I undo the first 50 with the female end and connect to hook head. I don't untie the second half of the string until the tree is on its way up. (About 8-10 feet) I found by only having half the string untied it saved me a lot of headaches and don't end up with what you've got. Good luck!

Thats how i started out, then raised the hook head but i couldnt separate the strands to attach each strand at the bottom.

These damn high dollar lights are the biggest problem,they're twisted so bad they knot up with everything they get near, the vender was awesome bit i hate the lights. Ill stick to the big lots lights that just fall into a straight line when you take them out the box.

I wanted to do all 72 strands separate at the bottom to fill the tree,but after this theyre going in 24 groups of three colors.

On all my strands, I take the twist out of them first.

Lay each string out. Grab one end with both hands and just run you hands down the string with a little grip. You can see the strands untwisting as you do it.

It helps from getting tangled up and you get the advertised length that way. It does make a big difference.

• Like 1

Wow, i just went to McDonald's to get a late lunch as im in line im watching a woman in the back door of a bmw suv bent over by a toddler but she was there a while as i was 8n line, so i went over to check on her and shes very impaired, so i called the sheriff, they get there and got her out the car she started throwing up and it smelled like alcohol and she said she took some valium, i think i might have just save her and that little boys life.

• Like 1

Well despite the knots and drama, i got it up. Ill have to add controllers tomorrow. We have some storms coming tonight so i guess ill see how this pole-less mega holds up.

20141122_172714_zpsrn0s8sb7.jpg

Congrats!!!

And lookin good.

Sometimes hitting the reset button and just take one minute at a time really helps.

It does for me at times.

I get overwhelmed of a certain thing, Then I refocus, hit that reset button and go at it in a different frame of mind.

Good job!!!

Tom

Sometimes hitting the reset button and just take one minute at a time really helps.

Couldn't agree more.  That and a couple/few beers does wonders! :D

• Like 1

I guess ill have to go bigger next year, its 16' plus a 4' snowflake and it looks kinda small lol.

That's what it's all about. You gotta start some where. I started with a 16' tree years ago. Then 20', then 33' and now 35'.

And it doesn't matter the size of tree. It's what you do with it.

And as long as people are smiling and enjoying your show, that's what really counts. So don't write off that 16' tree. I think it will look great.

Wow, i just went to McDonald's to get a late lunch as im in line im watching a woman in the back door of a bmw suv bent over by a toddler but she was there a while as i was 8n line, so i went over to check on her and shes very impaired, so i called the sheriff, they get there and got her out the car she started throwing up and it smelled like alcohol and she said she took some valium, i think i might have just save her and that little boys life.

Way too many people would look the other way - you saved their lives for sure!

And fixed your tree without buying new lights.

Call it a day - -

no, call it a great day!!!

• Like 1

Way too many people would look the other way - you saved their lives for sure!

And fixed your tree without buying new lights.

Call it a day - -

no, call it a great day!!!

+1 one on that!!!

Im thinking what i did wrong was pull the hook head up until the lights just hung straight down, i should have stopped when they were still swooped out onto the ground, attached them to the base and THEN raised the head all the way. Thats what i did the second time and it worked much better.

And for the woman in the bmw, we went to a birthday dinner last night and her suv was still there so i guess the emt hauled her off, but when we came back it was gone.

Im thinking what i did wrong was pull the hook head up until the lights just hung straight down, i should have stopped when they were still swooped out onto the ground, attached them to the base and THEN raised the head all the way. Thats what i did the second time and it worked much better.

And for the woman in the bmw, we went to a birthday dinner last night and her suv was still there so i guess the emt hauled her off, but when we came back it was gone.

So you ate at McD's twice in 1 day?

You may need emts next.

Edited by Mega Arch
  • Like 1