Light-O-Rama Forums

ethernet hub?

Dcroc

I have tried a few hubs with the controllers, but none seem to work. Is thean ethernet hub that will work with LOR rather than daisy chaining box to box?

The LOR communication is not TCPIP rather, its RS485. LOR uses Cat5/6 cables as they will work for us, cheaply as opposed to using formal RS485 cables. A hub/router/switch will NOT work for LOR's standard comm path. You risk damaging your controllers or the hub by connecting them together.

Damn. I wish they would make one for use with LOR. Would make life a lot easier. At the very least, they should have more than 2 cat5 Input/thru ports. I end up having to use a lot more cable than is really nesacary

You can do LOR DMX over TCPIP for the controllers, I think....I've not done that yet. I am doing DMX over TCPIP for intelligent pixel controllers though which uses E1.31 protocol and it works!

Damn. I wish they would make one for use with LOR. Would make life a lot easier. At the very least, they should have more than 2 cat5 Input/thru ports. I end up having to use a lot more cable than is really nesacary

I don't see where running cables from a hub to each controller would be more efficient than daisy-chaining from one controller to the next.

I've got about 80 control boxes in the display and 6 networks and shudder to think of the mess of running cables from 1 or 2 central locations for each network.

LOR does make a USB adapter that has 2 outputs, it can be found here. I've used one in the past and it worked well for going to each side of the yard instead of haveing the cat5 cross the sidewalk.

Cheers

Daryl B.

I use 4 ELL's instead of running some cords...the RX/TX in the house of course and 3 outside on separate areas. This is the first time I'm doing that with multiple out in the yard. Last two years, I only had one pair and cables between controllers.