Light-O-Rama Forums

Colors change by itself on CCRs

gmacw

O.k. I'm confused and hoping it's just something I'm missing.  I purchased some new CCR tree sequences from Dave (he does an awesome job by the way).  When I play the sequence as a SUP file in SS everything looks fine but when I export out to a LOR sequence I noticed that white is now a peachy/flesh color! to be exact in Super Star RGB color setting shows R=100, G=100 & B=100. But in LOR (when I hover mouse over a block) it's R=on, G=69% & B= 60%?  There may be other color changes too but the white really sticks out!  I thought maybe I exported & forgot something so I loaded up and older CCR tree sequence and this too is now that peach/flesh color! So prety much confirms it's not from the new sequences. 

I did recently update to version 3.12 but tried unistalling & re-installing to no avail.  Also tried downgrading to 3.11 and still no help.  I'm running advanced on windows 7 Pro.  Never have had any issues until now???

anyone have any ideas what I may be missing here???  Thanks in advance!  

Attached is a GIF that shows the flesh color that is white in super star..

I'm stumped. My lucy_linus CCR Tree sequence now shows what looks like a naked ( white > flesh) snowman!  That ought to scare the kids! lol!

post-3140-0-23492200-1416621540_thumb.gi

O.k., thanks to Davensj I think I got this figured out. Thought this may have been a LOR S3 issue since I had just updated,  seems to be a minor SS glitch (this post should be in the super star forum).  Had to export as raw color for it to work.  I tried it on one of the newer sequences and one of my older CCR tree sequences and it worked so now I don't have to worry about angry parents looking at a naked snowman!  

I now need to re-do my other 20 or so CCR tree sequences.  

It is not a glitch. It is supposed to do this.

It will correctly render the colors on your CCRs. Yes, it looks funny in visualizer. But it looks perfect on the CCR.

The only reason I turn this off is because I have dmx strip lights as well as CCRs. If I could get this color correction to work on those lights I would leave it on. Yellow is yellow, orange is orange etc.

Now when you go and play your show at look at your CCRs, your yellows will be green tinted, oranges will be more yellow and white will be more blue. Don't ask why....this is the reason. Or, at least this would of corrected that.

All this has been talked about over and over in the superstar section. It is in the superstar tutorials as well.

This issue comes up frequently. The reason superstar exports the way it does is because the Red, Green and Blue elements in the LEDs in Cosmic Color Ribbons are not "balanced". For example, if you turn Red and Green to 100% on the LED in a Cosmic Color Ribbon you would expect to get yellow, but you will get a greenish-yellow because the Green element is stronger than the Red element in the LED. If you turn on Red, Green and Blue to 100% you expect to get white, but it will actually be a Bluish-white because the Blue element is too strong. For this reason, SuperStar pulls back the Green and Blue elements. The end result is that in the Sequence Editor what should be white will look pinkish, but when played to your CCRs it will be a true white.

In addition, the "dimming curve" for LEDs is not smooth. Sending a value of 100 to Red will be 100% Red, but sending a value of 50 to Red will not be 50% red. To get 50% Red intensity you have to send a value of about 25. So for this reason, all the values that are less than 100 will be pulled back more than you expect so that the color on the LED will more closely match what you see on the computer screen.

The bottom line is that in order to get the LEDs on the CCRs to best match the colors on your computer screen the colors have to be adjusted and the end result is that the CCRs look good but the colors in the sequence editor will look wrong.

But I have customers who don't like to see the colors be wrong in the sequence editor so I put the "Export Raw Values" option in there. When you choose that option the colors in the exported sequence will look good but the colors on the actual CCRs will not look as good.

In the example of your white snowman, the white will look pinkish in the sequence editor but on the actual ribbons it will look a true white. If you use the "Export Raw Values" option then the snowman will look white in the sequence editor but will be a bit bluish on the CCRs.

Also, if you use "Export Raw Values" option and you have places in your sequence that use dim colors, those colors will look correct in the sequence editor but on the CCRs they won't look as dim as they should be. For example, in my "Silent Night" sequence at the end I have a night scene with a dark blue sky. The dark blue uses the 10% blue setting in SuperStar. But when exported the value becomes 1 or 2 because that is what is needed to get the CCRs down to 10% brightness. If you use "Export Raw Values" then it will export 10 for the blue value. 10 will look like 10% blue in the sequence editor, but on the CCRs it will be about 32% brightness because that is just how LEDs behave. The end result is that the night time sky will be brighter than it should be if you use "Export Raw Values"

Nevertheless, to answer one of the original questions, if you want to go back and change all your sequences to use "Export Raw Values" you will need the original .sup file. There is no simple way to do it just from the .lms file.

This comes up a lot. I will pin a permanent post on the forum that explains this. A more technical explanation is in the Help files.

Brian & Sax,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't yet tested on the CCR tree ( behind on setting up the lights this year).  It's good to know that it will show normal on the CCRs themselves.  It just screws with your head a little when you see the color changes on the sequencer as well as the visualizer.  Can I ask another question?  Is there any update down the road that will show the same colors in all three SS, visualizer &  sequencer?  I think that's what really messes with the head is when everything looks awesome in SS then after exporting it looks off...

Thanks Again.

Yes, that is the goal, to have the colors look good in all three, SuperStar, Visualizer and the Sequence Editor. There are plans to do just that. Hopefully it will be able to be done next year.

Yes, that is the goal, to have the colors look good in all three, SuperStar, Visualizer and the Sequence Editor. There are plans to do just that. Hopefully it will be able to be done next year.

Sounds good.  Thanks again for all your help...