Light-O-Rama Forums

usb converter?

quicksilver1313

I bought a usb to network Ethernet adapter. I can't get it to work with the controller. It is a CTB16PC. I plug the cable into the controller and red  light turns off. Unplug cable and light goes back on. Do I have to buy the converter from LOR?

I bought a usb to network Ethernet adapter. I can't get it to work with the controller. It is a CTB16PC. I plug the cable into the controller and red  light turns off. Unplug cable and light goes back on. Do I have to buy the converter from LOR?

The Cat-5 cable that connects your controllers to you computer is not ethernet - it's RS-485 (a serial format). Connecting a LOR controller to an ethernet device risks damage to one or the other. Although almost any USB to RS-485 adapter will work, generally you will not find there in your typical computer parts or electronics store because very few consumer products use RS-485. RS-485 is however ideally suited for LOR controllers.

Simple answer is to get the RS-485 adapter from LOR.

• Like 1

There are three flavors of USB adapters from LOR. One is a standard speed type that will allow you to use a Cat5 cable to the first controller. Just a reminder of what's already said in here, Cat5 cables in this case, are not used for TCPIP communications, rather they are used for RS485 comm. Cat5 cable was used by LOR because it works and is cheap as opposed to actual RS485 cables. RS485 and TCPIP comm are not compatible!!! 

The second type of usb adapter from LOR is a powered type. It allows it to send power from the computer's USB buss to the next device. Typically this one is used for ELL's (Easy Light Linkers) which require power. The third one is a new high speed USB adapter. I would suggest you go straight to this one as its set up for a 500k speed network.

• The topic was locked