Light-O-Rama Forums

Leave power to 12VDC 200 watt power supply on?

Daryle D

This is my first year with RGB Floods and ribbons.  I am using the 12VDC 200 Watt power supply units sold by LOR.  I'm just wonering how much power they consume when they are powered up but the light are off.  I'm thinking of putting them on timers to go on just a few minutes before the show begins but not sure the energy saving is worth it.  I shouldn't need to worry about any heat build up as they are well ventilated and outdoors where it will rarely (if ever) be above freezing.  Question is, leave power to them or put them on timers?

Daryle

I leave mine on all season. For mine, the fan doesn't come on till a demand to power lights comes on. So there is very little power being consumed when the show is off.

Leave them on.  They are far more likely to fail at powerup than from just sitting there on.

I have three 12V power supplies and 3 AC controllers for my year round landscape lighting that are powered up 24x7x365.  For Christmas, the 5V power supply for the pixel tree and star, adn the 3 CCPs got powered up last Sunday and will be powered up until sometime in January.  The other 5V power supply for the GECE bulbs will power up this weekend and again stay on until January.

• The topic was locked