Light-O-Rama Forums

I thought I could fly!

dknahoolewa

So i said this would never happen to me and it seems someone here every year ends up this way. So as the safety topic for the month please don't climb ladders in the dark by yourself. I spent last night and this morning in the ER after falling off my ladder. needless to say I'm fine. A concussion, sprain wrist and ankle and probably should have let the doctor do stiches.....

So let it be known that i will from now on work with a buddy when doing christams lights from now on.

Please everyone be safe and don't...DO NOT...take short cuts.

Daniel

Agreed!  Everyone.  Our displays may be the most important thing right now (even beyond family, friends, work, etc.), but safety is #1.  :)  Without you being safe, there is no display.

Wishing you speedy recovery Daniel.   I too risk a few things sometimes. When I know I am being risky I always wonder how long it will take my wife to find me if I fall.     Its the times I dont know I am risking it that worry me even more.   Thank you for the safety reminder.

Another safety tip for this time of year when we are rushed troubleshooting -- Unplug it first, don't assume you won't touch anything!

Daniel,

Thanks for posting your mishap for others to learn from, including myself. Sometimes we wrapped up in our hobbies and some things kinda slip by us. It's human nature.

And I pray for a quick recovery so you can get the display done (safely) and get those smiles going.

Tom

Get better man. And everyone be safe. I always make sure I have my cell phone in a jacket pocket that I can get to easily when I am up on ladders or on the roof. In case the horrible happens I can attempt to reach for it. Plus it's handy for when I have climbed on the roof and forgot something. Lol. My wife can bring it to a window so I don't have to climb down.

I'm glad I read this..  I find myself doing really stupid stuff when putting up lights.  Although I never thought about it until now.  I'm young, athletic, jump from rooftop to rooftop(5-6 feet span) 10-15 feet in the air, jump from balcony/porch on 2nd story to roof on first, climb 40+ foot tall trees, light poles, etc.  Never stopped to think where my lightshow would be if I got hurt.  I own a 68 foot stinger crane with a bucket.  I'm going to start using it more!  Thanks.  I hope you get lights up in time and recover soon!  Thanks for opening my eyes to my stupidity!

I thought I could fly!

I flew all the way to that sudden stop at the ground. Gravity who would figure. This time of the year you need  watch out for wet leaves on a steep roof also, I stepped on some loose leaves on top of the roof last year when I was taking the lights back down next stop was the ground ended up with a torn cartilage in the knee and a strained achilles tendon, We are not as young as we used to be and takes longer to heal back up. Knee still bothers me. Take your time and Stay Safe.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. Lessons learned for all of us. I'll add that even though I've not yet fallen, I have found the best time to get on an asphault shingled roof is in the mornings when they are still cool. Otherwise they become too slippery when they heat up if your roof angles are 30 degrees or more. At that point, you need a safety harness and a properly secured rope in good condition.

Edited by dgrant