Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights Dimmable

primvip

How do I know if my lights and LED lights are dimmable? I have some sequences that others have given me which have dimming in it, but I don't know if my lights are dimmable. thanks for any help and insight.

Haven't experienced this myself, but if they're Martha Stewart LEDS, have a fire extinguisher handy for your testing.

Other brands should be ok. They just might not dim all the way and will cut out early. Most people won't even notice.

I had this issue just recently ...I am 100% LED and on long fades the lights will begin to Dim way before you want them to if you do a Fade down for more than 25 seconds at 100% to 0%. as suggested you can use the Hardware tool to test but the test for Fades is maxed out at 25 seconds so its not the best long fade test but it will show that the lights do fade.

Best way for me was the create a Practice Track in a sequence and hook up a bunch of Led's to a controller and experiment with the Fade option tool's.

I noticed that my fade down  from 100% to 0% on a 50 second track had completly faded off at 25 seonds in. I adjusted the fade down to 100% to 15% and now I can stretch that fade all the way to 50 seconds... Expermiment with it and find what works best for you....

Note: this Fade down issue has NOTHING to do with shimmer or completley shutting off with no fade at all....thats a ddiffernet subjec that is fixed with a Snubber .

EZ

Haven't experienced this myself, but if they're Martha Stewart LEDS, have a fire extinguisher handy for your testing.

Other brands should be ok. They just might not dim all the way and will cut out early. Most people won't even notice.

+1 Stay away from the Martha lights from Home Depot.

ezimnow, I also noticed that most of my LED would go out around 10%. But on the high end I noted that fading up slows around 50% or so with very little change from 50% to 100%. Personally I felt that the LEDs got to a point that they started to hurt the eyes a bit. My roof line would light up the guys house across the street.