Light-O-Rama Forums

It just shut off

SuperMatt

Have you ever had your lights just shut off mid-sequence? 

I've tested portions of my display and they've worked fine, but tonight I finished hooking up my entire display and went to go test it. I had everything running to my laptop and was using the sequence editor. Unit 1 lights were working fine, but only channels 1-3 on the Unit 2 arches would light up. Suddenly, all lights went out. I stopped the sequence editor, closed the laptop and unplugged the electricity from both LOR controllers. Ironically, my breaker box didn't trip and I still have power on that circuit.

I'm running 32 channels, all LED lights.

I guess I go back to testing my shows one unit at a time, but sooner or later the holidays are here, and I'll have to plug them both in if I want to have a show! haha

Any thoughts?

My laptop gets real warm when operating the show and acts weird when it does heat up. I elevate it with a 1/2 x 1 stick towards the back and seems to help the problem go away..

Just a thought and something to think about.

It may be a laptop performance issue.

The laptop seemed to be the ONLY thing behaving normally when this happened tonight. LOL It wasn't running warm, but I'll certainly keep that in mind for the future. Thank you!

I'm thinking you lost communication to the controllers from your laptop. Were you direct cabled via Cat5/6 to the first controller?

I would look at the flashing or not flashing green light on the first controller when it stopped or stops. If its flashing, then you've lost comm to it

Honestly, I'm not sure what it was. I changed my power cords to draw power from outlets in a different arrangement than I had them before, and it's working now; but, I still can't say I know what CAUSED it before.  No circuits were tripped, I didn't have to reset any switches.

Premier: Where would I go to see error messages? Is there a log somewhere, because nothing displayed on the screen.

dgrant: Is it safe to test with the boxes open? Or can the software show me the status of the lights? I notice the Sequence editor has a blue square that turns red when I'm unplugged, etc.

Paul: had to wait for it to get dark to be sure if the lights were turning on.  :P

You will see the LOR lightbulb icon in your systray, right click on it and a pop-up menu will apear, about 1/3 to 1/2 way down from the top you will see STATUS, click on that to run, once you see it up, then start your show or sequences and watch on the status log what is going on, it may be a short sequence, could be a issue on the installation, its all tough to say until we eliminate some possibilities. And yes, you can run the show with the boxes open ( for testing purposes only )