Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights on decorations?

dan24438

I'm curious how many lights everyone is putting on their mini trees, arches, or anything else? This will be my first year using lor and went out and bought a handful of lights, approx 120,000. So when i was building my mini tree's i just kept putting them on till it was completely covered. I figure my small mini tree's have 3500 and my large ones have 4000. With my leaping arches I put around 500 per section (did 5 sections at 2 ft long).

Just wanted to see what others are doing.

I think a lot depends on preference.  My arches in this video are 7 sections with 50 leds per section.  The light poles on the porch are 3 sections with 50 lights on each section.  Plenty bright for me.

I have 77 mini trees. 42" tomato cages wrapped with chicken wire. Each tree has 300 lights. All of my arches are 9 channels with 2 foot sections of 1" pipe wrapped with 200 lights. I can't put any more lights on the arches. They are full and perfect in my opinion. My 42" mini trees could use a few more lights. Maybe 600 total. They are only one color, white... 77 of them still looks pretty good. 300 is OK but not full.

3000 lights per mini tree?  30 100-light strings?

Sorry - but I've gotta blow my whistle and toss a bullshit flag on that one.

• Like 2

You are welcome to throw the bullshit flag. Just so you know it wasn't 30 boxes of 100. It was 70 boxes of 50, at least on these ones. I've attached a picture of two of my small ones. I also attached a picture of one of two trips to buy lights(could not get all of them into my suv in one trip). I'm really not looking to stroke my ego, was not the point of this post at all.

I watched redmans video and his arches and poles look great, i think i'm using too many lights and should be using them else where or on additional decorations (more mini trees, or more mini arches to line my drive way).

Each mini has two channels on it fyi.

post-12034-0-43484100-1416367152_thumb.j

post-12034-0-63178800-1416367386_thumb.j

While they look great. They really do. You may be able to get away with half that number on each one. Remember most folks are going to be viewing them from the street and won't necessarily be standing right on top of them. So the effect might look the same with half the number of lights. Make one each way and then set them out and look at them from where you think folks will view from and see.

Mine are skimpy but they are also a ways back in my display currently and look good (at least to my eye) where I have them located.

Just thoughts from a newb. :)

Those are some mini trees! I assumed it was 350 lights, not 3,500. I would have 269,500 lights on my mini trees if I had 3500 per tree. 700 lights per color with 5 colors is a possibility..

I'm curious how many lights everyone is putting on their mini trees, arches, or anything else? This will be my first year using lor and went out and bought a handful of lights, approx 120,000. So when i was building my mini tree's i just kept putting them on till it was completely covered. I figure my small mini tree's have 3500 and my large ones have 4000. With my leaping arches I put around 500 per section (did 5 sections at 2 ft long).

Just wanted to see what others are doing.

You might have a load issue on the controller channels using that many icans per tree. Maybe not but it's something to keep in mind.

That's not a tree...its a cone of lights! Personally I think its too many lights on each. It might look nice at night. I have mini-trees, 16, which are only 1.5 feet tall. They each get one string of lights. I have a few other mini-trees that are a couple of feet tall and they get 2 or 3 strings each. Those boxes in the carts looked like all Wamart LED's so you can put a bunch on there as you wish but even though each draws very little power, it does add up so power might become a concern.

dgrant, I think your right. Now that I take a closer look, they do look like LEDs which helps a bunch on current usage.

Its a bunch of lights but hey, whatever floats your boat! Do as you wish and please, its your design, your show, your home...I'm sure it looks fantastic!

Damn, that's a lot of lights per tree, but there are no rules in this silly little hobby of ours.  So, to each his own.  More importantly, what the hell happened to all of the beef jerky in the background of your checkout photo?  Every box is empty (gasp!).  Is there some shortage of Jack Link's that I'm not aware of?

Edited by SparkDr

I built 8 tomato-cage mini's last year and wanted 4-color (RWBG) on each.  Ended up with ~1600-2000/tree ; 4-100ct. strands X 4-5 strands/tree.  And they are not tightly wrapped, so i guess it is very possible to get 3K/tree.  The arches are 8 section w/100ct. each section ; 800 lights/arch.   

Heck I just completed mini trees and have 1200 on each and its CRAZY bright. Running 4 colors and 4 channels per tree. But wow with all 4 colors on.

3000 must be bright!

This is my first year doing this.. I used 48" Tom cages. I wanted 3 colors to choose from. So I wrapped my trees with 2 100ct of each color. R G W which gives a total of 600 per tree and I have 5 trees. With all 3k lights on it's blinding.

I'm not sure i would want to add anymore.