Light-O-Rama Forums

4-Wire for Outdoor LED Strip Extention

karldrahovsky

Hello,

Very Simple Question:  I have dumb LED Strips.  Would like to add 4-wire extention to the strips.  Need to go 20-40 ft. to the controller.   When browsing Amazon etc, I only see flat-4 RGBB wire for sale.  Where would I find outdoor 4-wire to extend to LED strips. (Thinking the round outdoor in black sheath stuff.)  

Is the flat RGBB stuff good enough?  Is it waterproof?  Affected by distance or other elements?   i.e Link:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DPQMKBS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DMUOGSBGS0JX&coliid=I1VT0WQ4SH60GE

Thank You,

Karl

I just purchased some 20' 30' & 40' 4 wire extensions from Kevin over at Creative lighting, He is out of town for about a week but you can check out his site to see if he has what you need. If you don't see them on his site just send him an email for what you need I know he has some more cause I just picked up some form him

www.creativelightingdisplays.com

Edited by godman

I really dont see any problem with using flat cable. What is the problem is the gauge of the wire, which you do not provide. And what is the current requirement per color times 3. This last statement deals with the common lead will have to carry 3 times the current as one color when you have all 3 turned on at once. Might get by with 18 gauge, but would myself go with 16 gauge @ 40 feet. At 20 feet you might get by with the 18 gauge. To get a better understanding google I.R. drop or voltage drop in a wire. More current the device draws, the more the voltage will drop in a given wire. Thats because wire has resistance. The larger the wire, the less resistance.

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I understand the gauge/loss/resistance decision.  Not many provide that spec on 4-wire.  

As per creativelighting site.  I checked it out.  May be an option.  Wanted to get a significant role of it as I'll be cutting the ends off anyway.

Thanks Again.

Great. Lots of people new here have no idea what they are doing. Always good to talk to someone that has at least the basic grasp of electrical electronics. Wanting to bounce thoughts off of others. I didnt even get started in this till I talked to someone that was already doing this. Even though I have many years working in the electrical electronics field.

• Like 1

I can second a vote for Kevin at CLD. What I found most useful is he also has power injection t's that all fit inline with the connectors on all his extensions cables.