Light-O-Rama Forums

Changing LOR Network Speed

msiebri

Hi,

I have 13 Gen3 16-channel controllers, with a mix of 1.04 and 1.06 firmware, all on a single USB dongle.  The speed is set at 57.6K.  I have a couple of questions:

1) If I want to increase the speed, do I just change it in the Network Preferences and the controllers will detect it, or does something have to be changed on each controller?

2) Is there any downside to increasing the speed?

Thanks!

Martin

• Like 1

Hi,

I have 13 Gen3 16-channel controllers, with a mix of 1.04 and 1.06 firmware, all on a single USB dongle. The speed is set at 57.6K. I have a couple of questions:

1) If I want to increase the speed, do I just change it in the Network Preferences and the controllers will detect it, or does something have to be changed on each controller?

2) Is there any downside to increasing the speed?

Thanks!

Martin

2) No downside.

1) Make sure you have a 500k USB adapter. Change in network settings is all you need.

I would like to jump on this topic as well.. but with a twist.  Since ELLs are only good for 115k.. what is the best wireless way to achieve the 500k speed?  Is there one?  I am using e1.31 for the pixels but thinking of grouping my G3s together for some more fun and games for next year..

I know distance definitely plays a factor when choosing speed. If you going to be in the 1000'+ range, keep it at he 57.6K. Higher than that and the sync was off....at least for my experience. And this was for PC controllers. Not sure how far you would get with 500k. OP didn't mention distance but thought I would throw it in. Same with E1.31. Distance is short. For most distance is not a factor.

I know there is some wireless DMX devices out there. Not sure on the speed. I'm thinking if you are using 16ch PC controllers....the ELL at 115k should be fast enough. But with that said....if you going to have 500k controller, there should be a way to connector wire or wireless 500k. Only wired is available.

Hi,

My total distance from the PC to my last controller is about 650 ft.  I am using good quality (pure copper, no CCA) cables everywhere.  What speed can I safely run with this setup?  I'm waiting for my new high-speed dongle to arrive, it should be here Monday.  I sure wish LOR had a shipping option other than UPS for small stuff.  This could have gone in a padded envelope and been here by now...

Martin

you should have no issues at 500k.. but according to the charts which you can Google, you are close to the limit.  Use really good cable..   Look up rs485 vs. baud rate and you will find the answers you seek

Edited by plasmadrive

I see the various charts out there.  It looks like something in the neighborhood of 750 feet is the limit for running at 500K.  If I have problems, I can split my controllers into 2 networks.  That would get my longest run down to about 400 feet.  If I need to do that, do I just define Aux A in the Network Preferences to be the 2nd USB port?  Is there anything else I have to do?

I'd like to jump in here....as this is in a similar arena.

I run 8 LOR controllers on a regular network. I also have an auxiliary network with 12 CCR's. This year I am adding 16 RGB floods and 14 strings of LOR CCP bulbs (8 controllers). I use the High Speed USB485 jacks. My question is can I load all of the RGB items (CCR's, Floods and CCP's) on the same auxiliary network or should I split them up. The controllers for all these items are about 50-75 feet from the computer so my network cable runs aren't very long. Alternatively I could throw some of the new stuff on the regular network with the 8 controllers. Not sure what to do.....thoughts?

Edited by jasons

• The topic was locked