Light-O-Rama Forums

App for Testing LOR Sequences and Turning on Lights

Caleb Linburg

I have been learning a lot about app development for iOS and Mac OSX. I am interested in making an app and I am just curious about how many people would use something like this. I'm thinking it would need to have a program that always runs on the show pc and the app would connect into that and just tell it when to play a sequence through the commands. This would be for testing your show only, it wouldn't be able to run a schedule or interrupt your regular show, it would only work when another show is not playing. Also, I could do some thing like the hardware utility. Would anyone be interested in using this and does anyone have extra info for exactly what would need to happen on the computer side?

The ability to turn on any channel for verification while you're out in the display setting up is a big plus.

LOR has never published their communication protocol and I don't believe there are hooks to access the hardware utility functions externally. So doing something like the hardware utility might mean creating a sequence / show on-the-fly that turns on the circuits you desire. If the display uses DMX there are probably some examples for sending those commands on the web.

Yeah, I think that could be done. Maybe the desktop client could come with already generated sequences for every channel. You would specify how many channels you have and it would make a sequence for each. Then the app would just call that sequence to run.

I think you are re-inventing the wheel.  Lots of us use any number of remote desktop applications to remotely control the show computer from a phone or other remote device.  Personally I generally use RealVNC, but there is also TeamViewer, several other VNC applications, Windows Remote Desktop just to name a few.  I was updating the schedule for my landscape lighting show a few days ago because sunrise is getting later from my phone while sitting on a commuter train using RealVNC.  It's a little easier on my laptop because the screen size is larger, but it works on the phone.  Except for the small screen size on the phone, I can do anything remotely that I could do locally using VNC.  Last night I remotely started a show on demand to test the pixel tree and arches I had installed during the day.