Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR and programming DMX

WayneKremer

Now that I have gotten many hours of DMX sequencing under my belt with LOR I, there are some things that I would like to bring to Dan's (and other minions) attention for future enhancements. :P

My project involved 4 Chauvet moving yoke Q-Spot 575's, 8 LED washes, 2 snow machines, and 2 Chauvet dimmer packs. For the most part, sequencing everything except for the moving yokes wasn't too bad as most of those devices didn't require specific intensity values...instead they were just like dimmers (0 to 100%). The real problem came down to controlling the moving yokes.

The moving yokes (Q-Spot's) require specific intensity values to control the pan, tilt, colors, gobos, gobo rotation speeds, focus, etc. I setup dummy channels that had specific values across the whole sequence that I could copy and paste. That worked pretty good.

The problems that I had were mostly after the fact of sequencing. By just looking at the ramps, I have no idea where the q-spots are pointing, what gobo they are using, their color, etc. The ramps look all so similar that it's useless to guess what everything is doing without doing a 'View Cell' to get the specific intensity value that I assigned. The colors you assign channels has no bearing on the colors set for a moving yoke because you have multiple color values that can be set, but only within one LOR channel. I found that I had to do that for at least 4 or 5 channels of each q-spot just to see what I sequenced them to do.

Here are a few of my suggestions:

• Display the intensity value by mouse rollover.
  • Add 'Comment' channels to be put throughout the sequence. These channels would allow you to put in a comment in any event throughout a sequence. It would be nice to put in a comment in a particular part of a sequence so I can say something like, "Blue Snowflakes on Center floor". That way, I know...without looking up the intensity values, what is going on.
  • Think of a way to display the intensity values better so that it makes sense for specific DMX devices. A way in such that you can just look at the sequence and see that it is, for example, using gobo #3 with blue color and is spinning at a slow rate. This only needs to be done on DMX channels.

Overall, the iDMX1000 is awesome! It's doing exactly what it is designed to do and does it well. I'm sure there are not too many of us DMX sequencers (just yet), but I figured I would feed back any suggestions that would improve LOR with DMX sequencing. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

michael.farney wrote:

Bump..these are some great suggestions.

I noticed that S2 no longer lets you view cell. Will we get this capability?

if you select a single cell you can view->Cell info.... It should be setup as a hotkey.

Great, thanks! This will be a lifesaver for dmx.

Did this use to be on the right click? I could have sworn I remembered it there, but I went back to my 1.6.1 and it's not on the right click. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm. Guess I was looking in the wrong place.

• 2 months later...

LightORamaDan wrote:

michael.farney wrote:
Bump..these are some great suggestions.

I noticed that S2 no longer lets you view cell. Will we get this capability?

if you select a single cell you can view->Cell info.... It should be setup as a hotkey.

OK, so I am really nosing around the LORII and DMX stuff for this coming year and for PNW mini presentation reasons.

Dan, first off, there is no way that I can tell to have user defined Hotkey set ups. Is this correct? Second, you state above that this capability, "should be setup as a hotkey". How is this possible? Am I missing something?

• The topic was locked