Light-O-Rama Forums

Optimal location for your transmitter?

primvip

Where is optimal location for your transmitter? Is it ok to place it in the garage (on the ground level) or do I need to place it higher up for better transmission?

Mines sitting in my cold cellar under my porch at the front of the house. No issues with that location last year.

How far do you need to broadcast?

Mine's sitting on top of a bookcase right in front of a side window on the main level of the house and the signal reaches as far as anyone can see any lights.

If you have a good transmitter you can locate it almost anywhere it stays dry.

Thanks the advice. I would only need to broadcast about 20-30 feet. I got the Whole House Transmitter. I wish I had not gotten it after I have read some of the comments and the reviews though. I might return it and get something else. I want something that is really easy to use and no soldering required. Any experience with Dagco Electronic ones?

I put mine on the front porch and it still sucks, it will only reach about 100 feet. I think something is wrong with it.

I put mine on the front porch and it still sucks, it will only reach about 100 feet. I think something is wrong with it.

Or it's keeping you within legal limits. You don't need to have the black vans show up, that would be bad, just sayin....

• Like 1

I have mine in my living room, next to the pc running the show, and I have a 3 mile radius :)

I don't know what if I would announce that in a public forum
  • Like 1

I have mine in the basement next to the show computer. Range is about 4 houses up the street in both directions. More than far enough for the show. i may even lower the antenna a bit and tighten it up a little more. No need to spread it farther than I need to. And of course lessens the chance anyone will have an issue with it.

• Like 1

I will say, I am (ONE) of the very, very few that is using the whole house transmitter without any issues.  This will be the 3rd year using it. I have it mounted in my garage on the wall next to the garage door and the antenna is running up the wall.

Whole house transmitter 2 as well, year # 2, transmits roughly 100 yds in both directions, no complaints from me! I mount mine next to my front window and zig zagged the antenna across the window.

I'm using the Whole House transmitter 2 and even with the stubby antenna, it transmits over a block in all directions. However, the stereo is only good for a couple hundred feet and then changes to mono. With the included wire antenna, I transmit stereo all the way.

Our whole house works great. Have it in the garage next to the door. I just tie the antenna to the wiring outside seeing it's so long.