Light-O-Rama Forums

Deciding on What to order First Time

BCBjorklund

HI, I am trying to decide on best way to purchase the equipment to start off with. I need a 48 Channels.

I would like to go wireless, Pros cons?  Not sure which kit to purchase, and I want to broadcast via FM

Thanks Don,

So I need the following:

1- Pro Series 16 Channel Control with Standard Software, 50ft Com cable, plus USB 485B (the wireless or just USB?)

2- Residential Series CTB16PC-Ready to go

1-RF-V5-Pair

What about the FM signal?

Is there a delay with using wireless?

Edited by BCBjorklund

Look in the LOR Store. They sell a transmitter.

You need the USB485B so that you can power the ELL. (RF-V5) 

Read up on the ELL's. 50ft from USB485B to the ELL inside may be too long of a run. I think it's 20' or less that's recommended.

Be advised, however, that you can get a MUCH MUCH MUCH better transmitter for 60 bucks on Amazon. Search for CZH-05B. Make sure it comes with the rubber ducky antenna rather than the telescoping one, and make sure the seller has them in stock for immediate shipping.

LOR makes some very fine lighting controllers. And their sequencing software is head and shoulders above all others. They're not renown for the transmitters they sell, however.

Edited by George Simmons
  • Like 1

Make sure you sign up for the sale notification and you can save a few bucks or buy another 1 or 5 controllers...

Check the power requirements of the ELL. Can't remember, but I don't think the mini director can power the ELL.

The USB cable is free when you purchase a USB adapter. You will need the USB adapter at some point. Go ahead and get it now.

The mini director doesn't have its own power source.

It taps power from the nearest controller so you couldn't hook an ELL to it directly.  It sound like you don't want to run a CAT 5 cable from your home to the lights. If this is the case, you would need a show director outside or as Don mentioned purchasing a USB485 or 485B and connect it up to an ELL.  Then you can transmit wireless to controllers. 

The new mini directors have a plug in for 12v power just talked to Dan today about it

Interesting. First I've heard of a new mini-director. Did he say when it would be coming out?

Any reason mentioned for the change from the current 9v option?

No I called trying to find a way around the "special cable" to save on timers. He said they are all ready out I ordered mine a month ago he said I may have it just look at the mini director and see if there is a plug in for it.

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/uMP3g3_Man_Web.pdf. Page 7&9

That's very interesting and "I stand corrected".  Just looked up the documentation, the G3 mini director can be powered by a 12V adapter ( I don't think it came with one though). So that being said, it could provide the power for an ELL.  Ahh, so many ways to turn on the lights!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Don,

Well I received my equipment, I have four controllers linked and I can test them. How do I set the Show up.. I downloaded a sequence and play it and I only get 3 controllers to fire off??

Hi Don,

Well I received my equipment, I have four controllers linked and I can test them. How do I set the Show up.. I downloaded a sequence and play it and I only get 3 controllers to fire off??

Hi Don,

Hello BCB

can you tell us a little more?  As in, did you assign configurations in the (i'm assuming from reading above you got 1 pro & 3 residential controllers) three residential controllers.  Is each one different? when all set up to play do you have a solid lit "ready" l.e.d.? If yes to all, is the sequence your playing set up to each controller unit ID & channel (circuit)? Trying to help but need more to go on...

• Like 1

Hi Don,

OK at this point i am okay with the 4th controller not working with the Sequence, no time to play with it. I was able to set up each controller to give it its unique ID, 01, 02, 03, 04. I test fired each one singularly by hardware utility, and after I daisy chained the com link from PC to USB to ctrl 01, 01 to 02, 02 to 03, 03 to 04. When I played the sequence from the sequence editor I was able to play the sequence one at a time and only three controllers fired off. Is this a Sequence configuration ? (I purchased pre-configured sequences) or is it a software issue?

At this time I am okay with the three controllers do not know what I was thinking with 4 controllers to start with.. lol... and at the last minute.

I have downloaded 5 sequences into a show using the Show Editor. How do I get the show to play the Sequences?  and How to I get the lights to stay on after the show.. I want them to run through a blink off for a couple of seconds then all turn on after the show and before the show starts I want them to blink off one at a time until they are all off and then start the show??

I appreciate the help!

Bruce