Light-O-Rama Forums

Having trouble getting DMX to work on LOR

XYrZbest

I have some dumb rgb leds connected to this dmx controller http://www.holidaycoro.com/3-Channel-DMX-Controller-for-RGB-Lights-12v-DC-p/37.htm from there i use a dmx to lor crossover cable I made, this is where I think i have my problem as i have tested everything I just can't control the dmx leds through LOR. It isn't really a crossover cable as i just use three pin dmx on the dmx board on one side, (Orange, Orange/White, Brown/White) and then for the LOR side i use standard cat 5 568B. i connect the lor side into my  CTB16PC (the CTB16PC is LOR Channel 1 and the DMX control is Channel 2 [where channel 2 light 1 on LOR, DMX would be channel 17, correct?]), I even changed the DIP on the DMX board. The CTB16PC connects to my USB-RS485 http://store.lightorama.com/uscoad.html and into my pc (I installed the drivers correctly) it recognizes Channel 1 with my lights on LOR, I have tried putting the DMX directly into the RS485 using it as Channel 1 and by passing the CTB16PC. I have tried turning the lights on using the secuence editor and the test console on the hardware controller, they work for the LOR lights, and I have tested the DMX board and leds on a normal DMX light controller. but I just don't know what else to do. someone please help

You only need 2 wires for DMX. If you using LOR USB-RS485 adapter as your DMX dongle, then use pins 4/5. Also you can't use S3 HU to test DMX. If you want to use S3 to test, then create a test sequence and run it. Make sure the comm lister is on (open up Control Panel). And don't forget to add the dongle your using for DMX to the network preferences.

I have some dumb rgb leds connected to this dmx controller http://www.holidaycoro.com/3-Channel-DMX-Controller-for-RGB-Lights-12v-DC-p/37.htm from there i use a dmx to lor crossover cable I made, this is where I think i have my problem as i have tested everything I just can't control the dmx leds through LOR. It isn't really a crossover cable as i just use three pin dmx on the dmx board on one side, (Orange, Orange/White, Brown/White) and then for the LOR side i use standard cat 5 568B. i connect the lor side into my  CTB16PC (the CTB16PC is LOR Channel 1 and the DMX control is Channel 2 [where channel 2 light 1 on LOR, DMX would be channel 17, correct?]), I even changed the DIP on the DMX board. The CTB16PC connects to my USB-RS485 http://store.lightorama.com/uscoad.html and into my pc (I installed the drivers correctly) it recognizes Channel 1 with my lights on LOR, I have tried putting the DMX directly into the RS485 using it as Channel 1 and by passing the CTB16PC. I have tried turning the lights on using the secuence editor and the test console on the hardware controller, they work for the LOR lights, and I have tested the DMX board and leds on a normal DMX light controller. but I just don't know what else to do. someone please help

Since you're using the USB RS485, you'll need a true crossover cable. If memory serves, the LOR side will be the Blue and Blue/White and the DMX side will be the Orange and Orange/White. If you pick up a Enttec Pro compatible dongle, such as this:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Enttec-Pro-Compatible-DMX-Dongle-p/53.htm&click=670

then you won't need the crossover.

Also, the main consideration here is, unless you're running the CTB16 in DMX mode, you need a separate network for the DMX. LOR on one side, DMX on the other. 

• Like 1

You only need 2 wires for DMX. If you using LOR USB-RS485 adapter as your DMX dongle, then use pins 4/5. Also you can't use S3 HU to test DMX. If you want to use S3 to test, then create a test sequence and run it. Make sure the comm lister is on (open up Control Panel). And don't forget to add the dongle your using for DMX to the network preferences.

I am going from the dmx board to the LOR control box using a crossover cable from the LOR box i am going to the RS485 and then I am going to the pc

Since you're using the USB RS485, you'll need a true crossover cable. If memory serves, the LOR side will be the Blue and Blue/White and the DMX side will be the Orange and Orange/White. If you pick up a Enttec Pro compatible dongle, such as this:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/Enttec-Pro-Compatible-DMX-Dongle-p/53.htm&click=670

then you won't need the crossover.

Also, the main consideration here is, unless you're running the CTB16 in DMX mode, you need a separate network for the DMX. LOR on one side, DMX on the other. 

so should i get rid of the other wires and crimp the end for LOR with 3 wires and the the other 3 will connect to the DMX board, what order do I put the wires

What are you using for a dmx dongle?

I am using a crossover cable and going into the LOR box if possible

I was creating a show and then playing it. can i use the console in the hardware section. The dongle dosen't show in the network preferences and i am daisy chaining the dmx board off of the LOR box and then into the pc using the RS485

I was creating a show and then playing it. can i use the console in the hardware section. The dongle dosen't show in the network preferences and i am daisy chaining the dmx board off of the LOR box and then into the pc using the RS485

The way I understand it, you cannot daisy chain the DMX controller from the LOR controller unless it's the CMB24-DC or the CMB16D-QC. You'll need a separate network/dongle for the DMX network.

Now, if you are using a USB-RS485 for the DMX dongle, a crossover cable is needed. On this page:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/kb_results.asp?ID=46

there is a diagram that shows how to make the connections from the LOR Protocol (Pins 4 and 5) to the DMX Protocol (Pins 1 and 2), Solid blue to Orange/White and Blue/White to Solid Orange.

If using a DMX dongle, as stated above, this crossover cable is not needed.

If the presentation is correct, (and there's no reason I think it is not) then I stand corrected. I guess you can daisy chain DMX and LOR together. I was told differently when I first started with DMX.